On 9/22/15 8:01 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
I'm doubtful that this had anything to do with MaxAllocSize. You'd
certainly need a lot of bloat to be affected by that in any way. I
wonder how high pg_stat_statements.max was set to on this system, and
how long each query text was on average.

max was set to 10000. I don't know about average query text size, but the command that was causing the error was a very large number of individual INSERT ... VALUES statements all in one command.

The machine had plenty of free memory and no ulimit, so I don't see how this could have been anything but MaxAllocSize, unless there's some other failure mode in malloc I don't know about.