Dmitry Vasilyev <d.vasil...@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> On Сб, 2015-10-10 at 10:55 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> and (b) you still haven't convinced me that you had an actual service
>> stop, and not just that the recovery time was longer than psql would
>> wait before retrying the connection.

> The log you can see bellow:
> 2015-10-10 19:00:32 AST DEBUG:  cleaning up dynamic shared memory control
> segment with ID 851401618
> 2015-10-10 19:00:32 AST DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=290095104)
> 2015-10-10 19:00:42 AST FATAL:  pre-existing shared memory block is still in
> use
> 2015-10-10 19:00:42 AST HINT:  Check if there are any old server processes
> still running, and terminate them.

Thanks for providing some detail!  It's clear from the above log excerpt
that we're timing out after 10 seconds in win32_shmem.c's version of
PGSharedMemoryCreate, because CreateFileMapping is still reporting that
the old shared memory segment still exists.  When we last discussed this
sort of problem in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/49fa3b6f.6080...@dunslane.net
there was no evidence that such a failure could persist for longer than a
second or two.  Now it seems that on your machine the failure state can
persist for at least 10 seconds, but I don't know why.

If I had to guess, on the basis of no evidence, I'd wonder whether the
DSM code broke it; there is evidently at least one DSM segment in play
in your use-case.  But that's only a guess.