On 2015-10-14 17:33:01 +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> If I recall correctly, he concerned about killing the backends
> running transactions which could be saved. I have a sympathy with
> the opinion.

I still don't. Leaving backends alive after postmaster has died prevents
the auto-restart mechanism to from working from there on.  Which means
that we'll potentially continue happily after another backend has
PANICed and potentially corrupted shared memory. Which isn't all that
unlikely if postmaster isn't around anymore.

Andres