On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about the terminology used in this patch.  What is a
> tuple proper?  What is it in contradistinction to?  I would think that
> a tuple which is located in its own palloc'ed space is the "proper"
> one, leaving a tuple allocated in the bulk memory pool to be
> called...something else.  I don't know what the
> non-judgmental-sounding antonym of postpositive "proper" is.

"Tuple proper" is a term that appears 5 times in tuplesort.c today. As
it says at the top of that file:

/*
 * The objects we actually sort are SortTuple structs.  These contain
 * a pointer to the tuple proper (might be a MinimalTuple or IndexTuple),
 * which is a separate palloc chunk --- we assume it is just one chunk and
 * can be freed by a simple pfree().  SortTuples also contain the tuple's
 * first key column in Datum/nullflag format, and an index integer.

> Also, if I am reading this correctly, when we refill a pool from a
> logical tape we still transform each tuple as it is read from the disk
> format to the memory format.  This inflates the size quite a bit, at
> least for single-datum tuples.  If we instead just read the disk
> format directly into the pool, and converted them into the in-memory
> format when each tuple came due for the merge heap, would that destroy
> the locality of reference you are seeking to gain?

Are you talking about alignment?

--
Peter Geoghegan