On 21/02/16 21:15, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 19/02/16 10:10, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa wrote:
Oleg and I discussed recently that a really good addition to a GSoC
item would be to study whether it's convenient to have a binary
serialization format for jsonb over the wire. Some argue this should be
benchmarked first. So the scope for this project would be to benchmark
and analyze the potential improvements and then agree on which format
jsonb could be serialized to (apart from the current on-disk format,
there are many json or nested k-v formats that could be used for sending
over the wire).

Seems a bit risky for a GSoC project. We don't know if a different serialization format will be a win,

Over the current serialization (text) is hard to believe there will be no wins.

or whether we want to do it in the end, until the benchmarking is done. It's also not clear what we're trying to achieve with the serialization format: smaller on-the-wire size, faster serialization in the server, faster parsing in the client, or what?

Probably all of them (it would be ideal if it could be selectable). Some may favor small on-the-wire size (which can be significant with several serialization formats) or faster decoding (de-serialization takes a significant execution time). Of course, all this should be tested and benchmarked before, but we're not alone here.

This is a significant request from many, at least from the Java users, where it has been discussed many times. Specially if wire format adheres to one well-known (or even Standard) format, so that the receiving side and the drivers could expose an API based on that format --one of the other big pains today in this side.

    I think it fits very well for a GSoC! :)

    Álvaro

--
Álvaro Hernández Tortosa