On 03/03/2016 09:34 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2016-03-03 18:31:03 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
I think we want it at protocol level rather than pg_basebackup level.

I think we may want both eventually, but I do agree that protocol level
has a lot higher "priority" than that. Something like protocol level
compression has a bit of different tradeofs than compressing base
backups, and it's nice not to compress, uncompress, compress again.

Agreed. This is something that we have neglected and argued against for no good reason for over a decade. It is time to get it done.

Sincerely,

JD

                        +1-503-667-4564