On 2/24/16 12:40 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:

This has the merit to be clear, thanks for the input. Whatever the
approach taken at the end we have two candidates:
- Extend XLogInsert() with an extra argument for flags (Andres)
- Introduce XLogInsertExtended with this extra argument and let
XLogInsert() in peace (Robert and I).
Actually, I lied, there was still something I could do for this
thread: attached are two patches implementing both approaches as
respectively a-1 and a-2. Patch b is the set of logs I used for the
tests to show with a low checkpoint_timeout that checkpoints are
getting correctly skipped on an idle system.

Unfortunately neither A nor B apply anymore.

However, since the patches can still be read through I wonder if Robert or Andres would care to opine on whether A or B is better now that they can see the full implementation?

For my 2c I'm happy with XLogInsertExtended() since it seems to be a rare use case where flags are required. This can always be refactored in the future if/when the use of flags spreads.

I think it would be good to make a decision on this before asking Michael to rebase.

Thanks,
--
-David
da...@pgmasters.net