> [...]
>

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 7:43 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> <a.korot...@postgrespro.ru <mailto:a.korot...@postgrespro.ru>> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:57 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:robertmh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de
> <mailto:and...@anarazel.de>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Of course, those numbers are substantial regressions which would
> >> likely make it impractical to turn this on on a heavily-loaded
> >> production system.
> >
> > A lot of people operating production systems are fine with trading a <=
> > 10% impact for more insight into the system; especially if that
> > configuration can be changed without a restart.  I know a lot of systems
> > that use pg_stat_statements, track_io_timing = on, etc; just to get
> > that. In fact there's people running perf more or less continuously in
> > production environments; just to get more insight.
> >
> > I think it's important to get as much information out there without
> > performance overhead, so it can be enabled by default. But I don't think
> > it makes sense to not allow features in that cannot be enabled by
> > default, *if* we tried to make them cheap enough beforehand.
>
> Hmm, OK.  I would have expected you to be on the other side of this
> question, so maybe I'm all wet.  One point I am concerned about is
> that, right now, we have only a handful of types of wait events.  I'm
> very interested in seeing us add more, like I/O and client wait.  So
> any overhead we pay here is likely to eventually be paid in a lot of
> places - thus it had better be extremely small.
>
> OK. Let's start to produce light, not heat.
>
> As I get we have two features which we suspect to introduce overhead:
> 1) Recording parameters of wait events which requires some kind of
> synchronization protocol.
> 2) Recording time of wait events because time measurements might be expensive
> on some platforms.
>
> Simultaneously there are machines and workloads where both of these features
> doesn't produce measurable overhead.  And, we're talking not about toy
> databases. Vladimir is DBA from Yandex which is in TOP-20 (by traffic)
> internet companies in the world.  They do run both of this features in
> production highload database without noticing any overhead of them.
>
> It would be great progress, if we decide that we could add both of these
> features controlled by GUC (off by default).
>
> enable_waits_statistics ?
>

> If we decide so, then let's start working on this. At first, we should
> construct list of machines and workloads for testing. Each list of machines
> and workloads would be not comprehensive. But let's find something that would
> be enough for testing of GUC controlled, off by default features.  Then we
> can turn our conversation from theoretical thoughts to particular benchmarks
> which would be objective and convincing to everybody.
>
> Vladimir, could you provide a test suite, so other people could measure

I have somehow described it here [0]. Since the majority of concerns were
around LWLocks, the plan was to reconstruct a workload under heavy LWLocks
pressure. This can easily be done even with pgbench in two following scenarios:
        1. Put all the data in shared buffers and on tmpfs and run read/write
test. Contention would be around ProcArrayLock.
        2. Put all the data in RAM but not all in shared buffers and run
read-only test. Contention would be around buffer manager.

IMHO, these two tests are good to be representative and not depend much on
hardware.

[0]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/eee78e40-0e48-411a-9f90-cf9339da9...@simply.name

--