On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 07:31:08PM +1100, Giles Lean wrote:

> Is the "Single Unix Standard, version 2" (aka UNIX98) any better?
> It says for fsync():
>
>     "The fsync() function forces all currently queued I/O operations
>     associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to
>     the synchronised I/O completion state. All I/O operations are
>     completed as defined for synchronised I/O file integrity
>     completion."

In version 3 it says:

     The fsync() function shall request that all data for the open file
     descriptor named by fildes is to be transferred to the storage
     device associated with the file described by fildes in an
     implementation-defined manner. The fsync() function shall not
     return until the system has completed that action or until an error
     is detected.

     [SIO] [Option Start] If _POSIX_SYNCHRONIZED_IO is defined, the
     fsync() function shall force all currently queued I/O operations
     associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to the
     synchronized I/O completion state. All I/O operations shall be
     completed as defined for synchronized I/O file integrity
     completion. [Option End]

Kurt

http://archives.postgresql.org