On 03/31/2016 06:38 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2016-03-31 13:30:58 +0300, Yury Zhuravlev wrote:
Craig Ringer wrote:
Yeah, you're right. He's not the only one either.

I was reacting to the original post, and TBH didn't think it through. The
commit logs suggest there's a decent amount of work that goes in, and I'm
sure a lot of it isn't visible when just looking for 'windows', 'win32',
'msvc', etc.

Even the build system affects people who don't use it, if they're adding
features. I recently backported a bunch of 9.3 functionality to 9.1, and
in the process simply stripped out all the Windows build system changes as
"meh, too hard, don't care".

So yeah. I casually handwaved away a lot of work that's not highly
visible, but still happens and is important, and was wrong to do so. I've
done a bit on Windows myself but didn't fully recognise the burden support
for it places on patches to core infrastructure and on committers.
Maybe someone in the community to appoint a chief for Windows?
If somebody wanted to be that they'd just have to start doing it. It's
not like windows problems are an infrequent occurrance.

For the most part Magnus and I have been that de facto, as the committers most involved with Windows over the 11 or so years we've had the port.

We also have a few other prominent developers who help out - e.g. with the recent VS2015 stuff.

The worst thing about developing from my POV isn't something that actually affects core developers so much, namely the lack of a nice MSVC equivalent of PGXS.

It would also be nice to find out why we can't usefully scale shared buffers higher like we can on *nix.

cheers

andrew