Robert Treat wrote:

I'm going to be lazy and ask if you can post what the better solution
that was coming was (or a link to the thread). While I'll grant you that
the "it's coming" argument is pretty weak after two releases, that fact
that it may have been a better solution could still hold up.

Robert Treat

AFAIK it wasn't actually done. It was more of a, "we should do something different" argument. At one point it was talked about rewriting the configuration system to allow "include" and other things.