Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I could be wrong, but I thought that the target list for an expression
> would always contain only Vars at this stage.  Non-default tlists get
> injected at the end of scan/join planning.  Am I wrong?

Target list for a relation, you mean?  See relation.h:

 *      reltarget - Default Path output tlist for this rel; normally contains
 *                  Var and PlaceHolderVar nodes for the values we need to
 *                  output from this relation.
 *                  List is in no particular order, but all rels of an
 *                  appendrel set must use corresponding orders.
 *                  NOTE: in an appendrel child relation, may contain
 *                  arbitrary expressions pulled up from a subquery!