Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> Now, this case is a little trickier.  If we called it simply
> parallel_degree rather than max_parallel_degree, then it would have
> the same name as the reloption.  But the reloption sets an exact
> value, and the GUC sets a cap, which is a significant difference.

The reloption does not set an exact value, according to the code:

        /*
         * Use the table parallel_degree, but don't go further than
         * max_parallel_degree.
         */
        parallel_degree = Min(rel->rel_parallel_degree, max_parallel_degree);

although the existing documentation for it is so vague that you
couldn't tell from that.