On 6/19/16 3:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> writes:
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Would this not result in unstable test output depending on whether the
code executes in the leader or a worker?

Before doing that test, we set force_parallel_mode=1, so it should always
execute in worker which will ensure a stable output.

No, it *might* execute in a worker.  If you can get one.

Right.

Well, the purpose of the test is to check the error passing between worker and leader. If we just silently revert to not doing that, then we can't really be sure that we're testing the right thing. We've already seen some instances in this thread where we figured out after some debugging that some construct is not actually going through the parallel infrastructure, so I'm afraid if we leave it like this it might silently change behavior at some point in the future.

Independent of that, it would help testing things like this if we allowed setting max_worker_processes to 0, instead of the current minimum 1. If there a reason for the minimum of 1?