Peter Eisentraut wrote:
mlw writes:

AFAIK it wasn't actually done. It was more of a, "we should do something
different" argument. At one point it was talked about rewriting the
configuration system to allow "include" and other things.

The core of the problem was, and continues to be, this:  If you move
postgresql.conf somewhere else, then someone else will also want to move
pg_hba.conf and all the rest.  And that opens up a number of security and
cumbersome-to-install problems.

Just having an option that says, the configuration file is "there", is a
first step but not a complete solution.
The location of pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf can be specified within the postgresql.conf file if desired.

I don't understand the security concerns, what security issues can there be?