> >> What problem you see with it, if we do so and may be mention the same
> >> in docs as well.  Anyway, I think we should make the behaviour of both
> >> ecpg and psql same.
> >

> > Implicit COMMIT can be dangerous
> >

> Not, when user has specifically requested for autocommit mode as 'on'.
> I think here what would be more meaningful is that after "Set
> AutoCommit On", when the first command is committed, it should commit
> previous non-pending committed commands as well.

This is place when safety and and user friendly interface going against -
the most safe behave is raising rollback there. But it can be in contrast
with user's expectation.

> >> Not sure what benefit we will get by raising warning.  I think it is
> >> better to choose one behaviour (automatic commit or leave the
> >> transaction open as is currently being done in psql) and make it
> >> consistent across all clients.
> >

> > I am not sure about value of ecpg for this case. It is used by 0.0001%
> > users. Probably nobody in Czech Republic knows this client.
> >

> Sure, but that doesn't give us the license for being inconsistent in
> behaviour across different clients.

This is question. ecpg was designed years ago - and some details can be
designed wrong.

Next question is design for interactive and non interactive usage.

> > Warnings enforce the user do some decision
> >

> They could be annoying as well, especially if that happens in scripts.

in script - probably rollback is correct - script can be executed more time
and user can fix it.

I am not sure if we can solve this issue as isolated problem. The first
question should be - who, why and when does switching from autocommit off
to on? How often this operation is? And we should be safe or we should not?

Regards

Pavel