On Friday 14 February 2003 15:10, Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't see why we don't just let initdb install suggested config files
> into the new $PGDATA directory, same as it ever did.

Ok, let me take another tack.

Just exactly why does initdb need to drop any config files anywhere?  We
provide templates; initdb can initialize the data structure.  If we can by
default (as part of make install) put the config file templates in
$SYSCONFDIR (as set by ./configure), then why does initdb need to retouch
them?  I say that having configured PostgreSQL like this: (this is for 7.2.4,
not 7.3.x)
--enable-locale --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --disable-rpath --with-perl
--enable-multibyte --with-tcl --with-odbc --enable-syslog --with-python
--with-openssl --with-pam --with-krb5=/usr/kerberos --enable-nls
--sysconfdir=/etc/pgsql --mandir=/usr/share/man --docdir=/usr/share/doc
--includedir=/usr/include --datadir=/usr/share/pgsql

So, in my case, it would be preferable to me for initdb to not make a default
postgresql.conf, pg_hba.conf, and pg_ident.conf.  The make install process
should populate sysconfdir (/etc/pgsql here) with those files.

Why does initdb even need to be involved now (I know the historical reason)?

Comments?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio