On 08/28/2016 04:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
Also, I think we ought to replace this code in aset.c:

    initBlockSize = MAXALIGN(initBlockSize);
    if (initBlockSize < 1024)
        initBlockSize = 1024;
    maxBlockSize = MAXALIGN(maxBlockSize);

With this:

    Assert(initBlockSize >= 1024 && initBlockSize == MAXALIGN(initBlockSize));
    Assert(maxBlockSize == MAXALIGN(maxBlockSize));

Good idea --- if we'd had it that way, these errors would never have
gotten committed in the first place.  I'm for doing that only in HEAD
though.

                        regards, tom lane

Then maybe also add

    Assert(initBlockSize <= maxBlockSize);

And perhaps also an assert making sure the minContextSize value makes sens with respect to the min/max block sizes?

I'm however pretty sure this will have absolutely no impact on profiles. It might save a few cycles, but this only runs when creating the memory context and all profiles I've seen are about palloc/pfree.

It might matter when creating many memory contexts, but then you probably have other things to worry about.

regards