Tom Lane wrote:

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Should pg_dump appened an ANALYZE for each table?

A single ANALYZE at the end of the script would be sufficient. I'm not sure that pg_dump should do this automatically though. If you're not done restoring then it's mostly a waste of cycles, and how is pg_dump to know that?

I do note that the docs are rather stingy with this important bit of
knowhow :-( Neither of the obvious places that I looked in (pg_dump
reference page and admin guide's backup/restore chapter) mention the
need to issue an ANALYZE after completing a restore. I'm pretty sure it
is mentioned *somewhere* ;-) ... but it needs to be more prominent.

While these are all comforting points, I *know* about analyze and I occasionally forget. It just seems like a nessisary step after restoring a backup. Conceptually, one could consider it just as important as an index, i.e. the system will perform poorly without it.

From an "ease of use" perspective, it would be one less step.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?