On 10/05/2016 08:41 PM, reiner peterke wrote:
Hi,

We are helping a client test an application On Power8 using Postgres
9.5.4 which has been compiled specifically for the Power.

This is running on sles12sp1  the current kernel is 3.12.49-11

We are getting these kernel warning associated with the postmaster
process.  The application is handling around 15000TPS  It appears that
one of these messages is generated for each each transaction which fills
up the warn.log quite quickly.

I’m trying to understand what is causing the Tainted kernel messages.
the warning is at 'WARNING: at ../net/core/dst.c:287’.
I’ve found one link that indicates that this is ip6 related.

https://brunomgalmeida.wordpress.com/2015/07/23/disable-ipv6-postgres-and-pgbouncer/
Is this accurate?  And if these action resolve the error, is it more of
a bandaid then an actual fix?

As Andres already pointed out, this is most likely a kernel issue, not a PostgreSQL one. The "tainted" has nothing to do with the cause, it's just a way to inform users whether it's a clean kernel build, or if it includes code not available in vanilla kernels etc. The "X" means there are some SuSe-specific modules loaded, IIRC.

And yes, it seems IPv6 related, at least judging by the stack trace:

0xc0000000016f7d80 (unreliable)
sk_dst_check+0x174/0x180
ip6_sk_dst_lookup_flow+0x4c/0x2a0
udpv6_sendmsg+0x688/0xb20
inet_sendmsg+0x9c/0x120
sock_sendmsg+0xec/0x140
SyS_sendto+0x108/0x150
SyS_send+0x50/0x70
SyS_socketcall+0x2a0/0x440
syscall_exit+0x0/0x7c

You should probably talk to SuSe or whoever supports that system.

regards