XSLT could be used to convert virtually any xml table format directly
into an insert statement.  For me, this is better than using a
programming language plus a parser.  XSLT is quite powerful and fast and
is build on top of xpath, and is a closer fit to the declarative
programming model of sql.  Validation could be done at the xslt stage or
with schemas, which I prefer.