On 2016/10/26 18:25, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

Your patch calls isSubqueryExpr() recursively for every Var in the
targetlist, which can be many for foreign tables with many columns.
For every such Var it may need to reach upto the relation which is
converted into subquery, which can as bad as reaching every base
relation. So, it looks like the number of recursive calls to
isSubqueryExpr() is bounded by V * N (i.e. worst case depth of the
RelOptInfo tree), which can be quite costly. If use_remote_estimates
is true, we do this for every intermediate relation and for every path
created. That isn't very performance efficient.

In practice, the search cost would be negligible compared to the cost of explaining/executing the query.

My concern about your proposal is: it might not be worth complicating the code to solve a problem that is actually not a problem in practice.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita