On 11/17/2016 04:06 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

On November 17, 2016 1:02:38 PM PST, Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:
I love seeing references to email threads in commit messages. It would
make them a lot friendlier though if a full http URL were included
instead of just a Message-ID, i.e. instead of <foo1...@bar.com> put
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/foo1...@bar.com>. I know this is

a bit more trouble. but not that much, and it would make it very easy
follow with just a mouse click.
They're really hard to read though, because lines with e.g. gmail message IDs
get very long even without that prefix.  Do you look at these in the e-mail or
gitweb?

Mainly in Thunderbird. But it's cumbersome either way.

I agree gmail message IDs are ugly and insanely long. Personally I would rather pay the price of one line of ugliness for nice clickability.

To Tom's point that the URL might be ephemeral while the Message-ID is not, the URL would contain the Message-ID, so even if the base changed you could adjust to it.

cheers

andrew
**