On 11/19/2016 06:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Every proposal along these lines strikes me as making more unobvious
hoops for people to jump through. We're just reinventing the wheel here
because we don't like the color of the standard wheels that some email
MUAs produce.

Yeah, anything like this would be going very very far out of our way to
keep these lines in commit messages under an arbitrary limit (which we're
already exceeding anyway in many cases).  I'm inclined to think we should
just straight up decide that having the message link be a clickable URL is
worth the longer lines, or that it is not.  Personally I vote for "not",
but I recognize that I might be in the minority.

Agreed. I'm happy with the status quo. But if we want to make them clickable, let's just bite the bullet and start doing:

Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/<message-id>

The point of keeping the lines short is to make the text in the commit more pleasant to read, but that hardly applies to a URL.

BTW, before we give up completely on reconciling the two objectives,
is anyone aware of a line-continuation convention that would be likely
to work?  If we could do something like

Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/\
caf4au4w6rrh_j1bvvhzposrihcog7sgj3lsx0ty8zdwhht8...@mail.gmail.com

it would improve matters all around.

That would make it more difficult to parse programmatically, as you couldn't just grep lines beginning with "Discussion: ".

Unless we decide to switch to using clickable URLs here, and perhaps even if we do, because we already have a lot of current-format "Discussion: " lines in the git history, it would be nice to change the message archive web interface to know about "Discussion: ". The web interface could view those as clickable links. At the moment, not only are they not clickable, but the interface even obfuscates them, thinking that the message-ids are email addresses, making copy-pasting harder too:

Discussion: <26681(dot)1477940227(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>

- Heikki