Lamar Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> FWIW, the 6.4 protocol change didn't force a move from 6.3.2 to 7.0.

True, but that was a much smaller change than what we're contemplating
here.  AFAIR, those changes did not affect the majority of applications
--- they only needed to relink with a newer client library, and voila
they spoke the new protocol perfectly well.  The planned changes for
error handling (error codes, etc) will be something that will affect
almost every app.  They won't *need* to change, maybe, but they'll
probably *want* to change.

But let's wait till feature freeze to have this discussion; we'll know
better by then exactly what we're talking about.