Hello Andrew,

I cannot remember a language with elseif* variants, and I find them quite ugly, so from an aethetical point of view I would prefer to avoid that... On the other hand having an "else if" capability makes sense (eg do something slightly different for various versions of pg), so that would suggest to stick to a simpler "if" without variants, if possible.

FTR I *strongly* disagree with this. (And if you can't remember a language that comes with them then you need to get out more. The Bourne shell, where it's spelled "elif", and Ada are two obvious examples.)

There may be a misunderstanding somewhere.

I'm rather in favor of having "elif/elsif/elseif/..." constructs, especially if they can be useful in realistic examples, which is not clear yet for psql scripts.

I'm arguing against "if/elif" *variants* in the sense of various conditional semantics: e.g. in cpp you have several "if"s (ifdef ifndef if), but you do not have all the corresponding "elif"s (elifdef elifndef...), there is only one "elif". In cpp "ifdef"/"ifndef" were obsoleted by "if" with minimal expression support (#if !defined(HAS_SOMETHING) ...) and only this "if" has its "elif".

--
Fabien.