On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Obtaining a tuple lock requires two separate actions: First we do
> LockTuple() and then we do XactLockTableWait().

I think that's kind of a confusing way of looking at it.  LockTuple()
waits for a "tuple" lmgr lock, and XactLockTableWait waits for a
"transaction" lmgr lock.  Those two things are both part of a larger
protocol for managing access to what we refer to as tuple locks at the
SQL level.  I don't think conflating those things would be a very good
idea, because it's useful to know which phase you're currently doing -
e.g. anybody waiting on a tuple lock is not first in the queue.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company