Hi

> Sorry for my late response.
>
> I've briefly checked a series of discussion in the past.
> I understood the target/purpose of this patch is provision of a fast
> interface
> to import/export a particular cell of a relation, by skip of text<->binary
> transformation. Its typical use case are XML and JSON data types. Right?

There are more goals:

1. user friendly import of text or binary data - import text data (with
psql) from file is possible - but you have to load a content to psql
variable. For binary data you should to use workaround based on LO and
transformation from LO to bytea.

2. user friendly export text or binary data - now, the binary data can be
exported only via transformation to LO. The XML has very interesting
features when is passing from/to client binary. This feature is impossible
in psql now.

> If so, how about the idea to use fast-path invocation protocol to call
> functions
> to import/export these document types?
> It allows to accept binary form of the data stream, with minimum overheads.

Sorry, I don't see a sense - for Fast API I have to write a application -
and then I can write a application with support of binary passing.

> It seems to me extend of COPY statement for this optimization is a bit
> overkill
> solution. Do we find out an alternative solution that we can build on
> the existing
> infrastructure?

The advantage and sense of COPY RAW was reusing existing interface. The
question was: How I can export/import binary data simply from psql console?

Regards

Pavel