On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Vladimir Rusinov <vrusi...@google.com>
wrote:

> Usability review
>
> ============
>

> Patch sounds like a good idea and does what it supposed to do. /me in DBA
> hat will be happy to have it.
>
> However, it makes '-x' parameter a bit confusing/surprising: specifying it
> will be equivalent to '-X fetch' which is surprising regression from the
> new default.

This seems like a good idea, really.

Given that we already break a number of other things around backups and
replication in this release, it seems like a good time.

I definitely think removing it is what we should do -- let's not redefine
it to mean streaming, let's just get rid of -x altogether, and have people
use -X streaming|fetch|none.

What do others feel about this?

One comment about docs:

>          Includes the required transaction log files (WAL files) in the
>
>          backup. This will include all transaction logs generated during
>
> -        the backup. If this option is specified, it is possible to start
>
> -        a postmaster directly in the extracted directory without the need
>
> -        to consult the log archive, thus making this a completely
> standalone
>
> -        backup.
>
> +        the backup. Unless the option <literal>none</literal> is
> specified,
>
> +        it is possible to start a postmaster directly in the extracted
>
> +        directory without the need to consult the log archive, thus
>
> +        making this a completely standalone backup.
>
>         </para>
>
>         <para>
>
> I suggest "method <literal>none</literal>" instead of "option
> <literal>none</literal>". I found the word "option" confusing in that
> sentence.

Sounds reasonable, will fix.

--
 Magnus Hagander