1) I agree with Michael that we should make this change backward compatible. It
would help PostgreSQL image if we did not break everyone's code. It costs
businesses money to rewrite code (e.g. middle tier software, backup tools,
etc), test and redeploy to their customers.

2) We decided to rename the pg_xlog directory because people were deleting it
when disks were getting full thinking it was just unimportant logging data; I
get that. I'm a little unclear why we need to change the functions - it would
be less painful to our users and less risky if we just left them as is. Could
someone please elaborate why this change is necessary? I'm just trying to
understand that.

Thanks,
-Cynthia