I respect your opinion and don't agree with it.

Yeah. I'm pretty overwhelmingly unconvinced too.

I'm lost.

The security-related use-case you have presented stores the status of the verification in a variable. If the variable is untransactional, then it has been shown that the variable status may say ok while the verification has really really failed. This means that subsequent operations would be executed believing wrongly that the security was ok. Not good.

Morover, there is no special cost in implementing transactional on session variables, has it is already done by pg. It can probably be reused.

An alternative is to implement sub (nested) transactions, like Oracle and MS SQL Server... but that would be quite some work.

So basically I do not see any point in not doing transactional variables.

--
Fabien.