On 2016/12/28 17:34, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2016/12/28 15:54, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
On 2016/12/27 22:03, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
If mergejoin_allowed is true and mergeclauselist is non-NIL but
hashclauselist is NIL (that's rare but there can be types has merge
operators but not hash operators), we will end up returning NULL. I
think we want to create a merge join in that case. I think the order
of conditions should be 1. check hashclause_list then create hash join
2. else check if merge allowed, create merge join. It looks like that
would cover all the cases, if there aren't any hash clauses, and also
no merge clauses, we won't be able to implement a FULL join, so it
will get rejected during path creation itself.

Right, maybe we can do that by doing similar things as in
match_unsort_outer
and/or sort_inner_and_outer.  But as you mentioned, the case is rare, so
the
problem would be whether it's worth complicating the code (and if it's
worth, whether we should do that at the first version of the function).

All I am requesting is changing the order of conditions. That doesn't
complicate the code.

I might have misunderstood your words, but you are saying we should consider
mergejoin paths with some mergeclauses in the case where hashclauses is NIL,
right?  To do so, we would need to consider the sort orders of outer/inner
paths, which would make the code complicated.

Hmm. If I understand the patch correctly, it does not return any path
when merge join is allowed and there are merge clauses but no hash
clauses. In this case we will not create a foreign join path, loosing
some optimization. If we remove GetExistingLocalJoinPath, which
returns a path in those cases as well, we have a regression in
performance.

Ok, will revise, but as I mentioned upthread, I'm not sure it's a good idea to search the pathlist to get a merge join even in this case. I'd vote for creating a merge join path from the inner/outer paths in this case as well. I think that would simplify the code as well.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita