Tom Lane wrote:

> However, it only really works if psql never overwrites the values
> after startup, whereas I believe all of these are overwritten by
> a \c command.

Yes, there are reset to reflect the properties of the new connection.

> So maybe it's more user-friendly to make these variables fully
> reserved, even at the risk of breaking existing scripts.  But
> I don't think it's exactly an open-and-shut question.

You mean if we make that fail:  \set ENCODING UTF8
it's going to make that fail too:
  SELECT something AS "ENCODING"[,...]  \gset
and I agree it's not obvious that this trade-off has to be
made. Personally I'm fine with the status quo and will
not add that hook into the patch unless pressed to.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite