Hello, all

Could you give me your opinions on whether the SHOW command should display the
effective value or the specified value for huge_pages?  During the review of
"Supporting huge_pages on Windows", which is now shifted to CommitFest 2017-3,
Magnus gave me a comment that the huge_page variable should retain the value
"try" when the huge page is not available on the machine and the server falls
back to huge_page=off.  The Linux version does so.

I don't have a strong opinion on that, but I think a bit that it would be
better to reflect the effective setting, i.e. SHOW displays huge_pages as off,
not try.  Otherwise, the user cannot know whether the huge page setting is
effective.

One parameter that behaves similarly is wal_buffers.  When wal_buffers is set
to -1 (default), "SHOW wal_buffers" displays the actual size, not -1.  But I
didn't find any other parameters like this.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa