From: pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-ow...@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
> "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> writes:
> > As I stated here and at the PGConf.ASIA developer meeting last year,
> > I'd like to propose statement-level rollback feature.
>
> I do not really see how this would ever get past the compatibility problems
> that forced us to give up on server-side autocommit years ago.

Could you tell me more about that problem?  What kind of incompatibility would
this feature introduce?

> If you want to provide a client-side facility for this, perhaps that could
> fly.

Do you mean a feature of psqlODBC that implicitly issues SAVEPOINT and RELEASE
SAVEPOINT for each SQL statement?  One reason I want to implement the feature
is to avoid eliminate those round-trips for performance.  Or, do you mean a
client-side connection parameter like "rollback_scope={transaction |
statement}?"  Yes, I'll implement it for major client drivers so that the
driver issues "SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS FOR TRANSACTION ROLLBACK SCOPE
{TRANSACTION | STATEMENT}" upon connection.  psqlODBC has already a connection
parameter, Protocol, for that purpose.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa