Hello Corey,

It doesn't strike me as much cleaner, but it's no worse, either.

Hmmm.

The "if (x) { x = ... ; if (x) {" does not help much to improve readability and understandability...

My 0.02€ about v19:

If there are two errors, I do not care which one is shown, both will have to be fixed anyway in the end... So I would suggest to choose the simplest possible implementation:

  on elif:
    always eval expression
      => possible eval error
    switch
      => including detecting misplaced elif errors

If the second error must absolutely be shown in all cases, then add a second misplaced elif detection in the eval expression failure branch:

  on elif
    always eval
    if (eval failed)
      also checked for misplaced (hey user, you have 2 errors in fact...)
      bye bye...
    // else eval was fine
    switch
      including misplaced elif detection

If the committer is angry at these simple approach, then revert to the strange looking and hard to understand switch-if-switch solution (~ v18, or some simplified? v19), but I do not think the be weak benefit is worth the code complexity.

--
Fabien.