On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 2:53 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Should the \password tool in psql inspect password_encryption and act on
> it
> > being 'scram'?
>
> Not sure if it is wise to change the default fot this release.

I'm not proposing that we change the default value of password_encryption,
only that \password respect whatever value it currently finds there.  But
after thinking about it a bit more, I reached the same conclusion that Joe
did, that it should use the same hashing method as the current password
does, and only consult password_encryption if there is no password
currently set.

> A patch among those lines would be a simple, do people feel that this
> should be part of PG 10?

I think it is pretty important to have some way of setting the password
that doesn't risk it ending up in the server log file, or .psql_history, or
having someone shoulder-surf it.

Cheers,

Jeff