On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The reason it works fine for heap tuples is that heap tuple headers
> explicitly record the number of attributes in the tuple.  Index
> tuples don't.

Per my previous mail, I think we can change things so that Index
tuples effectively record that in all relevant cases. i.e., in what I
called separator key index tuples -- high key tuples in leaf pages,
and all internal page index tuples (high keys and downlinks/internal
items).

We already store a minus infinity downlink on internal pages, which
doesn't bother diagnostic tools at all, despite being its own special
case without real Datum values.

--
Peter Geoghegan