From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig.rin...@2ndquadrant.com]
> TBH, anyone who cares about security and runs Win7 or Win2k8 or newer should
> be using virtual service accounts and managed service accounts.
>
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd548356
>

> Those are more like Unix service accounts. Notably they don't need a password,
> getting rid of some of the management pain that led us to abandon the
> 'postgres' system user on Windows.
>
> Now that older platforms are EoL and even the oldest that added this feature
> are also near EoL or in extended maintenance, I think installers should
> switch to these by default instead of using NETWORK SERVICE.
>
> Then the issue of priv dropping would be a lesser concern anyway.

Good point!  And I said earlier in this thread, I think managing privileges
(adding/revoking privileges from the user account) is the DBA's or sysadmin's
duty, and PG's removing all privileges feels overkill.

OTOH, I tried again to leave the DISABLE_MAX_PRIVILEGE as is and add Lock Pages
in Memory, using the attached pg_ctl.c.  Please see EnableLockPagesPrivilege()
and its call site.  But pg_ctl -w start fails emitting the following message:

error code 1300
waiting for server to start....FATAL:  could not enable "Lock pages in memory"
privilege
HINT:  Assign "Lock pages in memory" privilege to the Windows user account
which runs PostgreSQL.
LOG:  database system is shut down
 stopped waiting
pg_ctl: could not start server
Examine the log output.

error code 1300 is ERROR_NOT_ALL_ASSIGNED, which means AdjustTokenPrivileges()
cound not enable Lock Pages in Memory privilege.  It seems that the privilege
cannot be enabled once it was removed with
CreateRestrictedToken(DISABLE_MAX_PRIVILEGE).

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 *
 * pg_ctl --- start/stops/restarts the PostgreSQL server
 *
 * Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2016, PostgreSQL Global Development Group
 *
 * src/bin/pg_ctl/pg_ctl.c
 *
 *-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 */

#ifdef WIN32
/*
 * Need this to get defines for restricted tokens and jobs. And it
 * has to be set before any header from the Win32 API is loaded.
 */
#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0501
#endif

#include "postgres_fe.h"

#include "libpq-fe.h"
#include "pqexpbuffer.h"

#include <fcntl.h>
#include <locale.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <unistd.h>

#ifdef HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/resource.h>
#endif

#include "getopt_long.h"
#include "miscadmin.h"

/* PID can be negative for standalone backend */
typedef long pgpid_t;

typedef enum
{
        SMART_MODE,
        FAST_MODE,
        IMMEDIATE_MODE
} ShutdownMode;

typedef enum
{
        NO_COMMAND = 0,
        INIT_COMMAND,
        START_COMMAND,
        STOP_COMMAND,
        RESTART_COMMAND,
        RELOAD_COMMAND,
        STATUS_COMMAND,
        PROMOTE_COMMAND,
        KILL_COMMAND,
        REGISTER_COMMAND,
        UNREGISTER_COMMAND,
        RUN_AS_SERVICE_COMMAND
} CtlCommand;

#define DEFAULT_WAIT    60

static bool do_wait = false;
static bool del_service_rid = false;
static bool wait_set = false;
static int      wait_seconds = DEFAULT_WAIT;
static bool wait_seconds_arg = false;
static bool silent_mode = false;
static ShutdownMode shutdown_mode = FAST_MODE;
static int      sig = SIGINT;           /* default */
static CtlCommand ctl_command = NO_COMMAND;
static char *pg_data = NULL;
static char *pg_config = NULL;
static char *pgdata_opt = NULL;
static char *post_opts = NULL;
static const char *progname;
static char *log_file = NULL;
static char *exec_path = NULL;
static char *event_source = NULL;
static char *register_servicename = "PostgreSQL";               /* FIXME: +
version ID? */
static char *register_username = NULL;
static char *register_password = NULL;
static char *argv0 = NULL;
static bool allow_core_files = false;
static time_t start_time;

static char postopts_file[MAXPGPATH];
static char version_file[MAXPGPATH];
static char pid_file[MAXPGPATH];
static char backup_file[MAXPGPATH];
static char recovery_file[MAXPGPATH];
static char promote_file[MAXPGPATH];

#ifdef WIN32
static DWORD pgctl_start_type = SERVICE_AUTO_START;
static SERVICE_STATUS status;
static SERVICE_STATUS_HANDLE hStatus = (SERVICE_STATUS_HANDLE) 0;
static HANDLE shutdownHandles[2];
static pid_t postmasterPID = -1;

#define shutdownEvent     shutdownHandles[0]
#define postmasterProcess shutdownHandles[1]
#endif

static void write_stderr(const char *fmt,...) pg_attribute_printf(1, 2);
static void do_advice(void);
static void do_help(void);
static void set_mode(char *modeopt);
static void set_sig(char *signame);
static void do_init(void);
static void do_start(void);
static void do_stop(void);
static void do_restart(void);
static void do_reload(void);
static void do_status(void);
static void do_promote(void);
static void do_kill(pgpid_t pid);
static void print_msg(const char *msg);
static void adjust_data_dir(void);

#ifdef WIN32
#if (_MSC_VER >= 1800)
#include <versionhelpers.h>
#else
static bool IsWindowsXPOrGreater(void);
static bool IsWindows7OrGreater(void);
#endif
static bool pgwin32_IsInstalled(SC_HANDLE);
static char *pgwin32_CommandLine(bool);
static void pgwin32_doRegister(void);
static void pgwin32_doUnregister(void);
static void pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(DWORD);
static void WINAPI pgwin32_ServiceHandler(DWORD);
static void WINAPI pgwin32_ServiceMain(DWORD, LPTSTR *);
static void pgwin32_doRunAsService(void);
static int      CreateRestrictedProcess(char *cmd, PROCESS_INFORMATION
*processInfo, bool as_service);
static void EnableLockPagesPrivilege(HANDLE hToken);
#endif

static pgpid_t get_pgpid(bool is_status_request);
static char **readfile(const char *path);
static void free_readfile(char **optlines);
static pgpid_t start_postmaster(void);
static void read_post_opts(void);

static PGPing test_postmaster_connection(pgpid_t pm_pid, bool do_checkpoint);
static bool postmaster_is_alive(pid_t pid);

#if defined(HAVE_GETRLIMIT) && defined(RLIMIT_CORE)
static void unlimit_core_size(void);
#endif

#ifdef WIN32
static void
write_eventlog(int level, const char *line)
{
        static HANDLE evtHandle = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;

        if (silent_mode && level == EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE)
                return;

        if (evtHandle == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
        {
                evtHandle = RegisterEventSource(NULL,
                                                 event_source ? event_source :
DEFAULT_EVENT_SOURCE);
                if (evtHandle == NULL)
                {
                        evtHandle = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;
                        return;
                }
        }

        ReportEvent(evtHandle,
                                level,
                                0,
                                0,                              /* All events
are Id 0 */
                                NULL,
                                1,
                                0,
                                &line,
                                NULL);
}
#endif

/*
 * Write errors to stderr (or by equal means when stderr is
 * not available).
 */
static void
write_stderr(const char *fmt,...)
{
        va_list         ap;

        va_start(ap, fmt);
#ifndef WIN32
        /* On Unix, we just fprintf to stderr */
        vfprintf(stderr, fmt, ap);
#else

        /*
         * On Win32, we print to stderr if running on a console, or write to
         * eventlog if running as a service
         */
        if (pgwin32_is_service())       /* Running as a service */
        {
                char            errbuf[2048];           /* Arbitrary size? */

                vsnprintf(errbuf, sizeof(errbuf), fmt, ap);

                write_eventlog(EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE, errbuf);
        }
        else
                /* Not running as service, write to stderr */
                vfprintf(stderr, fmt, ap);
#endif
        va_end(ap);
}

/*
 * Given an already-localized string, print it to stdout unless the
 * user has specified that no messages should be printed.
 */
static void
print_msg(const char *msg)
{
        if (!silent_mode)
        {
                fputs(msg, stdout);
                fflush(stdout);
        }
}

static pgpid_t
get_pgpid(bool is_status_request)
{
        FILE       *pidf;
        long            pid;
        struct stat statbuf;

        if (stat(pg_data, &statbuf) != 0)
        {
                if (errno == ENOENT)
                        write_stderr(_("%s: directory \"%s\" does not
exist\n"), progname,
                                                 pg_data);
                else
                        write_stderr(_("%s: could not access directory \"%s\":
%s\n"), progname,
                                                 pg_data, strerror(errno));

                /*
                 * The Linux Standard Base Core Specification 3.1 says this
should
                 * return '4, program or service status is unknown'
                 *
https://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-g
                 * eneric/iniscrptact.html
                 */
                exit(is_status_request ? 4 : 1);
        }

        if (stat(version_file, &statbuf) != 0 && errno == ENOENT)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: directory \"%s\" is not a database cluster
directory\n"),
                                         progname, pg_data);
                exit(is_status_request ? 4 : 1);
        }

        pidf = fopen(pid_file, "r");
        if (pidf == NULL)
        {
                /* No pid file, not an error on startup */
                if (errno == ENOENT)
                        return 0;
                else
                {
                        write_stderr(_("%s: could not open PID file \"%s\":
%s\n"),
                                                 progname, pid_file,
strerror(errno));
                        exit(1);
                }
        }
        if (fscanf(pidf, "%ld", &pid) != 1)
        {
                /* Is the file empty? */
                if (ftell(pidf) == 0 && feof(pidf))
                        write_stderr(_("%s: the PID file \"%s\" is empty\n"),
                                                 progname, pid_file);
                else
                        write_stderr(_("%s: invalid data in PID file \"%s\"\n"),
                                                 progname, pid_file);
                exit(1);
        }
        fclose(pidf);
        return (pgpid_t) pid;
}

/*
 * get the lines from a text file - return NULL if file can't be opened
 */
static char **
readfile(const char *path)
{
        int                     fd;
        int                     nlines;
        char      **result;
        char       *buffer;
        char       *linebegin;
        int                     i;
        int                     n;
        int                     len;
        struct stat statbuf;

        /*
         * Slurp the file into memory.
         *
         * The file can change concurrently, so we read the whole file into
memory
         * with a single read() call. That's not guaranteed to get an atomic
         * snapshot, but in practice, for a small file, it's close enough for
the
         * current use.
         */
        fd = open(path, O_RDONLY | PG_BINARY, 0);
        if (fd < 0)
                return NULL;
        if (fstat(fd, &statbuf) < 0)
        {
                close(fd);
                return NULL;
        }
        if (statbuf.st_size == 0)
        {
                /* empty file */
                close(fd);
                result = (char **) pg_malloc(sizeof(char *));
                *result = NULL;
                return result;
        }
        buffer = pg_malloc(statbuf.st_size + 1);

        len = read(fd, buffer, statbuf.st_size + 1);
        close(fd);
        if (len != statbuf.st_size)
        {
                /* oops, the file size changed between fstat and read */
                free(buffer);
                return NULL;
        }

        /*
         * Count newlines. We expect there to be a newline after each full line,
         * including one at the end of file. If there isn't a newline at the
end,
         * any characters after the last newline will be ignored.
         */
        nlines = 0;
        for (i = 0; i < len; i++)
        {
                if (buffer[i] == '\n')
                        nlines++;
        }

        /* set up the result buffer */
        result = (char **) pg_malloc((nlines + 1) * sizeof(char *));

        /* now split the buffer into lines */
        linebegin = buffer;
        n = 0;
        for (i = 0; i < len; i++)
        {
                if (buffer[i] == '\n')
                {
                        int                     slen = &buffer[i] - linebegin +
1;
                        char       *linebuf = pg_malloc(slen + 1);

                        memcpy(linebuf, linebegin, slen);
                        linebuf[slen] = '\0';
                        result[n++] = linebuf;
                        linebegin = &buffer[i + 1];
                }
        }
        result[n] = NULL;

        free(buffer);

        return result;
}

/*
 * Free memory allocated for optlines through readfile()
 */
static void
free_readfile(char **optlines)
{
        char       *curr_line = NULL;
        int                     i = 0;

        if (!optlines)
                return;

        while ((curr_line = optlines[i++]))
                free(curr_line);

        free(optlines);

        return;
}

/*
 * start/test/stop routines
 */

/*
 * Start the postmaster and return its PID.
 *
 * Currently, on Windows what we return is the PID of the shell process
 * that launched the postmaster (and, we trust, is waiting for it to exit).
 * So the PID is usable for "is the postmaster still running" checks,
 * but cannot be compared directly to postmaster.pid.
 *
 * On Windows, we also save aside a handle to the shell process in
 * "postmasterProcess", which the caller should close when done with it.
 */
static pgpid_t
start_postmaster(void)
{
        char            cmd[MAXPGPATH];

#ifndef WIN32
        pgpid_t         pm_pid;

        /* Flush stdio channels just before fork, to avoid double-output
problems */
        fflush(stdout);
        fflush(stderr);

        pm_pid = fork();
        if (pm_pid < 0)
        {
                /* fork failed */
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not start server: %s\n"),
                                         progname, strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }
        if (pm_pid > 0)
        {
                /* fork succeeded, in parent */
                return pm_pid;
        }

        /* fork succeeded, in child */

        /*
         * Since there might be quotes to handle here, it is easier simply to
pass
         * everything to a shell to process them.  Use exec so that the
postmaster
         * has the same PID as the current child process.
         */
        if (log_file != NULL)
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "exec \"%s\" %s%s < \"%s\" >> \"%s\"
2>&1",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts,
                                 DEVNULL, log_file);
        else
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "exec \"%s\" %s%s < \"%s\" 2>&1",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts, DEVNULL);

        (void) execl("/bin/sh", "/bin/sh", "-c", cmd, (char *) NULL);

        /* exec failed */
        write_stderr(_("%s: could not start server: %s\n"),
                                 progname, strerror(errno));
        exit(1);

        return 0;                                       /* keep dumb compilers
quiet */

#else                                                   /* WIN32 */

        /*
         * As with the Unix case, it's easiest to use the shell (CMD.EXE) to
         * handle redirection etc.  Unfortunately CMD.EXE lacks any equivalent
of
         * "exec", so we don't get to find out the postmaster's PID immediately.
         */
        PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;

        if (log_file != NULL)
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "CMD /C \"\"%s\" %s%s < \"%s\" >>
\"%s\" 2>&1\"",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts, DEVNULL,
log_file);
        else
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "CMD /C \"\"%s\" %s%s < \"%s\" 2>&1\"",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts, DEVNULL);

        if (!CreateRestrictedProcess(cmd, &pi, false))
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not start server: error code %lu\n"),
                                         progname, (unsigned long)
GetLastError());
                exit(1);
        }
        /* Don't close command process handle here; caller must do so */
        postmasterProcess = pi.hProcess;
        CloseHandle(pi.hThread);
        return pi.dwProcessId;          /* Shell's PID, not postmaster's! */
#endif   /* WIN32 */
}

/*
 * Find the pgport and try a connection
 *
 * On Unix, pm_pid is the PID of the just-launched postmaster.  On Windows,
 * it may be the PID of an ancestor shell process, so we can't check the
 * contents of postmaster.pid quite as carefully.
 *
 * On Windows, the static variable postmasterProcess is an implicit argument
 * to this routine; it contains a handle to the postmaster process or an
 * ancestor shell process thereof.
 *
 * Note that the checkpoint parameter enables a Windows service control
 * manager checkpoint, it's got nothing to do with database checkpoints!!
 */
static PGPing
test_postmaster_connection(pgpid_t pm_pid, bool do_checkpoint)
{
        PGPing          ret = PQPING_NO_RESPONSE;
        char            connstr[MAXPGPATH * 2 + 256];
        int                     i;

        /* if requested wait time is zero, return "still starting up" code */
        if (wait_seconds <= 0)
                return PQPING_REJECT;

        connstr[0] = '\0';

        for (i = 0; i < wait_seconds; i++)
        {
                /* Do we need a connection string? */
                if (connstr[0] == '\0')
                {
                        /*----------
                         * The number of lines in postmaster.pid tells us
several things:
                         *
                         * # of lines
                         *              0       lock file created but status
not written
                         *              2       pre-9.1 server, shared memory
not created
                         *              3       pre-9.1 server, shared memory
created
                         *              5       9.1+ server, ports not opened
                         *              6       9.1+ server, shared memory not
created
                         *              7       9.1+ server, shared memory
created
                         *
                         * This code does not support pre-9.1 servers.  On Unix
machines
                         * we could consider extracting the port number from
the shmem
                         * key, but that (a) is not robust, and (b) doesn't
help with
                         * finding out the socket directory.  And it wouldn't
work anyway
                         * on Windows.
                         *
                         * If we see less than 6 lines in postmaster.pid, just
keep
                         * waiting.
                         *----------
                         */
                        char      **optlines;

                        /* Try to read the postmaster.pid file */
                        if ((optlines = readfile(pid_file)) != NULL &&
                                optlines[0] != NULL &&
                                optlines[1] != NULL &&
                                optlines[2] != NULL)
                        {
                                if (optlines[3] == NULL)
                                {
                                        /* File is exactly three lines, must be
pre-9.1 */
                                        write_stderr(_("\n%s: -w option is not
supported when starting a pre-9.1 server\n"),
                                                                 progname);
                                        return PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT;
                                }
                                else if (optlines[4] != NULL &&
                                                 optlines[5] != NULL)
                                {
                                        /* File is complete enough for us,
parse it */
                                        pgpid_t         pmpid;
                                        time_t          pmstart;

                                        /*
                                         * Make sanity checks.  If it's for the
wrong PID, or the
                                         * recorded start time is before pg_ctl
started, then
                                         * either we are looking at the wrong
data directory, or
                                         * this is a pre-existing pidfile that
hasn't (yet?) been
                                         * overwritten by our child postmaster.
 Allow 2 seconds
                                         * slop for possible cross-process
clock skew.
                                         */
                                        pmpid =
atol(optlines[LOCK_FILE_LINE_PID - 1]);
                                        pmstart =
atol(optlines[LOCK_FILE_LINE_START_TIME - 1]);
                                        if (pmstart >= start_time - 2 &&
#ifndef WIN32
                                                pmpid == pm_pid
#else
                                        /* Windows can only reject
standalone-backend PIDs */
                                                pmpid > 0
#endif
                                                )
                                        {
                                                /*
                                                 * OK, seems to be a valid
pidfile from our child.
                                                 */
                                                int                     portnum;
                                                char       *sockdir;
                                                char       *hostaddr;
                                                char
host_str[MAXPGPATH];

                                                /*
                                                 * Extract port number and host
string to use. Prefer
                                                 * using Unix socket if
available.
                                                 */
                                                portnum =
atoi(optlines[LOCK_FILE_LINE_PORT - 1]);
                                                sockdir =
optlines[LOCK_FILE_LINE_SOCKET_DIR - 1];
                                                hostaddr =
optlines[LOCK_FILE_LINE_LISTEN_ADDR - 1];

                                                /*
                                                 * While
unix_socket_directories can accept relative
                                                 * directories, libpq's host
parameter must have a
                                                 * leading slash to indicate a
socket directory.  So,
                                                 * ignore sockdir if it's
relative, and try to use TCP
                                                 * instead.
                                                 */
                                                if (sockdir[0] == '/')
                                                        strlcpy(host_str,
sockdir, sizeof(host_str));
                                                else
                                                        strlcpy(host_str,
hostaddr, sizeof(host_str));

                                                /* remove trailing newline */
                                                if (strchr(host_str, '\n') !=
NULL)
                                                        *strchr(host_str, '\n')
= '\0';

                                                /* Fail if couldn't get either
sockdir or host addr */
                                                if (host_str[0] == '\0')
                                                {
                                                        write_stderr(_("\n%s:
-w option cannot use a relative socket directory specification\n"),

 progname);
                                                        return
PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT;
                                                }

                                                /*
                                                 * Map listen-only addresses to
counterparts usable
                                                 * for establishing a
connection.  connect() to "::"
                                                 * or "0.0.0.0" is not portable
to OpenBSD 5.0 or to
                                                 * Windows Server 2008, and
connect() to "::" is
                                                 * additionally not portable to
NetBSD 6.0.  (Cygwin
                                                 * does handle both addresses,
though.)
                                                 */
                                                if (strcmp(host_str, "*") == 0)
                                                        strcpy(host_str,
"localhost");
                                                else if (strcmp(host_str,
"0.0.0.0") == 0)
                                                        strcpy(host_str,
"127.0.0.1");
                                                else if (strcmp(host_str, "::")
== 0)
                                                        strcpy(host_str, "::1");

                                                /*
                                                 * We need to set
connect_timeout otherwise on Windows
                                                 * the Service Control Manager
(SCM) will probably
                                                 * timeout first.
                                                 */
                                                snprintf(connstr,
sizeof(connstr),
                                                "dbname=postgres port=%d
host='%s' connect_timeout=5",
                                                                 portnum,
host_str);
                                        }
                                }
                        }

                        /*
                         * Free the results of readfile.
                         *
                         * This is safe to call even if optlines is NULL.
                         */
                        free_readfile(optlines);
                }

                /* If we have a connection string, ping the server */
                if (connstr[0] != '\0')
                {
                        ret = PQping(connstr);
                        if (ret == PQPING_OK || ret == PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT)
                                break;
                }

                /*
                 * Check whether the child postmaster process is still alive.
This
                 * lets us exit early if the postmaster fails during startup.
                 *
                 * On Windows, we may be checking the postmaster's parent
shell, but
                 * that's fine for this purpose.
                 */
#ifndef WIN32
                {
                        int                     exitstatus;

                        if (waitpid((pid_t) pm_pid, &exitstatus, WNOHANG) ==
(pid_t) pm_pid)
                                return PQPING_NO_RESPONSE;
                }
#else
                if (WaitForSingleObject(postmasterProcess, 0) == WAIT_OBJECT_0)
                        return PQPING_NO_RESPONSE;
#endif

                /* No response, or startup still in process; wait */
#ifdef WIN32
                if (do_checkpoint)
                {
                        /*
                         * Increment the wait hint by 6 secs (connection
timeout + sleep)
                         * We must do this to indicate to the SCM that our
startup time is
                         * changing, otherwise it'll usually send a stop signal
after 20
                         * seconds, despite incrementing the checkpoint counter.
                         */
                        status.dwWaitHint += 6000;
                        status.dwCheckPoint++;
                        SetServiceStatus(hStatus, (LPSERVICE_STATUS) &status);
                }
                else
#endif
                        print_msg(".");

                pg_usleep(1000000);             /* 1 sec */
        }

        /* return result of last call to PQping */
        return ret;
}

#if defined(HAVE_GETRLIMIT) && defined(RLIMIT_CORE)
static void
unlimit_core_size(void)
{
        struct rlimit lim;

        getrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE, &lim);
        if (lim.rlim_max == 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot set core file size limit; disallowed
by hard limit\n"),
                                         progname);
                return;
        }
        else if (lim.rlim_max == RLIM_INFINITY || lim.rlim_cur < lim.rlim_max)
        {
                lim.rlim_cur = lim.rlim_max;
                setrlimit(RLIMIT_CORE, &lim);
        }
}
#endif

static void
read_post_opts(void)
{
        if (post_opts == NULL)
        {
                post_opts = "";                 /* default */
                if (ctl_command == RESTART_COMMAND)
                {
                        char      **optlines;

                        optlines = readfile(postopts_file);
                        if (optlines == NULL)
                        {
                                write_stderr(_("%s: could not read file
\"%s\"\n"), progname, postopts_file);
                                exit(1);
                        }
                        else if (optlines[0] == NULL || optlines[1] != NULL)
                        {
                                write_stderr(_("%s: option file \"%s\" must
have exactly one line\n"),
                                                         progname,
postopts_file);
                                exit(1);
                        }
                        else
                        {
                                int                     len;
                                char       *optline;
                                char       *arg1;

                                optline = optlines[0];
                                /* trim off line endings */
                                len = strcspn(optline, "\r\n");
                                optline[len] = '\0';

                                /*
                                 * Are we at the first option, as defined by
space and
                                 * double-quote?
                                 */
                                if ((arg1 = strstr(optline, " \"")) != NULL)
                                {
                                        *arg1 = '\0';           /* terminate so
we get only program

 * name */
                                        post_opts = pg_strdup(arg1 + 1);
/* point past whitespace */
                                }
                                if (exec_path == NULL)
                                        exec_path = pg_strdup(optline);
                        }

                        /* Free the results of readfile. */
                        free_readfile(optlines);
                }
        }
}

static char *
find_other_exec_or_die(const char *argv0, const char *target, const char
*versionstr)
{
        int                     ret;
        char       *found_path;

        found_path = pg_malloc(MAXPGPATH);

        if ((ret = find_other_exec(argv0, target, versionstr, found_path)) < 0)
        {
                char            full_path[MAXPGPATH];

                if (find_my_exec(argv0, full_path) < 0)
                        strlcpy(full_path, progname, sizeof(full_path));

                if (ret == -1)
                        write_stderr(_("The program \"%s\" is needed by %s "
                                                   "but was not found in the\n"
                                                   "same directory as \"%s\".\n"
                                                   "Check your
installation.\n"),
                                                 target, progname, full_path);
                else
                        write_stderr(_("The program \"%s\" was found by
\"%s\"\n"
                                                   "but was not the same
version as %s.\n"
                                                   "Check your
installation.\n"),
                                                 target, full_path, progname);
                exit(1);
        }

        return found_path;
}

static void
do_init(void)
{
        char            cmd[MAXPGPATH];

        if (exec_path == NULL)
                exec_path = find_other_exec_or_die(argv0, "initdb", "initdb
(PostgreSQL) " PG_VERSION "\n");

        if (pgdata_opt == NULL)
                pgdata_opt = "";

        if (post_opts == NULL)
                post_opts = "";

        if (!silent_mode)
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "\"%s\" %s%s",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts);
        else
                snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "\"%s\" %s%s > \"%s\"",
                                 exec_path, pgdata_opt, post_opts, DEVNULL);

        if (system(cmd) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: database system initialization failed\n"),
progname);
                exit(1);
        }
}

static void
do_start(void)
{
        pgpid_t         old_pid = 0;
        pgpid_t         pm_pid;

        if (ctl_command != RESTART_COMMAND)
        {
                old_pid = get_pgpid(false);
                if (old_pid != 0)
                        write_stderr(_("%s: another server might be running; "
                                                   "trying to start server
anyway\n"),
                                                 progname);
        }

        read_post_opts();

        /* No -D or -D already added during server start */
        if (ctl_command == RESTART_COMMAND || pgdata_opt == NULL)
                pgdata_opt = "";

        if (exec_path == NULL)
                exec_path = find_other_exec_or_die(argv0, "postgres",
PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR);

#if defined(HAVE_GETRLIMIT) && defined(RLIMIT_CORE)
        if (allow_core_files)
                unlimit_core_size();
#endif

        /*
         * If possible, tell the postmaster our parent shell's PID (see the
         * comments in CreateLockFile() for motivation).  Windows hasn't got
         * getppid() unfortunately.
         */
#ifndef WIN32
        {
                static char env_var[32];

                snprintf(env_var, sizeof(env_var), "PG_GRANDPARENT_PID=%d",
                                 (int) getppid());
                putenv(env_var);
        }
#endif

        pm_pid = start_postmaster();

        if (do_wait)
        {
                print_msg(_("waiting for server to start..."));

                switch (test_postmaster_connection(pm_pid, false))
                {
                        case PQPING_OK:
                                print_msg(_(" done\n"));
                                print_msg(_("server started\n"));
                                break;
                        case PQPING_REJECT:
                                print_msg(_(" stopped waiting\n"));
                                print_msg(_("server is still starting up\n"));
                                break;
                        case PQPING_NO_RESPONSE:
                                print_msg(_(" stopped waiting\n"));
                                write_stderr(_("%s: could not start server\n"
                                                           "Examine the log
output.\n"),
                                                         progname);
                                exit(1);
                                break;
                        case PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT:
                                print_msg(_(" failed\n"));
                                write_stderr(_("%s: could not wait for server
because of misconfiguration\n"),
                                                         progname);
                                exit(1);
                }
        }
        else
                print_msg(_("server starting\n"));

#ifdef WIN32
        /* Now we don't need the handle to the shell process anymore */
        CloseHandle(postmasterProcess);
        postmasterProcess = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE;
#endif
}

static void
do_stop(void)
{
        int                     cnt;
        pgpid_t         pid;
        struct stat statbuf;

        pid = get_pgpid(false);

        if (pid == 0)                           /* no pid file */
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: PID file \"%s\" does not exist\n"),
progname, pid_file);
                write_stderr(_("Is server running?\n"));
                exit(1);
        }
        else if (pid < 0)                       /* standalone backend, not
postmaster */
        {
                pid = -pid;
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot stop server; "
                                           "single-user server is running (PID:
%ld)\n"),
                                         progname, pid);
                exit(1);
        }

        if (kill((pid_t) pid, sig) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not send stop signal (PID: %ld):
%s\n"), progname, pid,
                                         strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }

        if (!do_wait)
        {
                print_msg(_("server shutting down\n"));
                return;
        }
        else
        {
                /*
                 * If backup_label exists, an online backup is running. Warn
the user
                 * that smart shutdown will wait for it to finish. However, if
                 * recovery.conf is also present, we're recovering from an
online
                 * backup instead of performing one.
                 */
                if (shutdown_mode == SMART_MODE &&
                        stat(backup_file, &statbuf) == 0 &&
                        stat(recovery_file, &statbuf) != 0)
                {
                        print_msg(_("WARNING: online backup mode is active\n"
                                                "Shutdown will not complete
until pg_stop_backup() is called.\n\n"));
                }

                print_msg(_("waiting for server to shut down..."));

                for (cnt = 0; cnt < wait_seconds; cnt++)
                {
                        if ((pid = get_pgpid(false)) != 0)
                        {
                                print_msg(".");
                                pg_usleep(1000000);             /* 1 sec */
                        }
                        else
                                break;
                }

                if (pid != 0)                   /* pid file still exists */
                {
                        print_msg(_(" failed\n"));

                        write_stderr(_("%s: server does not shut down\n"),
progname);
                        if (shutdown_mode == SMART_MODE)
                                write_stderr(_("HINT: The \"-m fast\" option
immediately disconnects sessions rather than\n"
                                                  "waiting for
session-initiated disconnection.\n"));
                        exit(1);
                }
                print_msg(_(" done\n"));

                print_msg(_("server stopped\n"));
        }
}

/*
 *      restart/reload routines
 */

static void
do_restart(void)
{
        int                     cnt;
        pgpid_t         pid;
        struct stat statbuf;

        pid = get_pgpid(false);

        if (pid == 0)                           /* no pid file */
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: PID file \"%s\" does not exist\n"),
                                         progname, pid_file);
                write_stderr(_("Is server running?\n"));
                write_stderr(_("starting server anyway\n"));
                do_start();
                return;
        }
        else if (pid < 0)                       /* standalone backend, not
postmaster */
        {
                pid = -pid;
                if (postmaster_is_alive((pid_t) pid))
                {
                        write_stderr(_("%s: cannot restart server; "
                                                   "single-user server is
running (PID: %ld)\n"),
                                                 progname, pid);
                        write_stderr(_("Please terminate the single-user server
and try again.\n"));
                        exit(1);
                }
        }

[...]

                /* always wait for restart */

[...]

                write_stderr(_("%s: old server process (PID: %ld) seems to be
gone\n"),
                                         progname, pid);
                write_stderr(_("starting server anyway\n"));
        }

        do_start();
}

static void
do_reload(void)
{
        pgpid_t         pid;

        pid = get_pgpid(false);
        if (pid == 0)                           /* no pid file */
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: PID file \"%s\" does not exist\n"),
progname, pid_file);
                write_stderr(_("Is server running?\n"));
                exit(1);
        }
        else if (pid < 0)                       /* standalone backend, not
postmaster */
        {
                pid = -pid;
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot reload server; "
                                           "single-user server is running (PID:
%ld)\n"),
                                         progname, pid);
                write_stderr(_("Please terminate the single-user server and try
again.\n"));
                exit(1);
        }

        if (kill((pid_t) pid, sig) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not send reload signal (PID: %ld):
%s\n"),
                                         progname, pid, strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }

        print_msg(_("server signaled\n"));
}

/*
 * promote
 */

static void
do_promote(void)
{
        FILE       *prmfile;
        pgpid_t         pid;
        struct stat statbuf;

        pid = get_pgpid(false);

        if (pid == 0)                           /* no pid file */
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: PID file \"%s\" does not exist\n"),
progname, pid_file);
                write_stderr(_("Is server running?\n"));
                exit(1);
        }
        else if (pid < 0)                       /* standalone backend, not
postmaster */
        {
                pid = -pid;
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot promote server; "
                                           "single-user server is running (PID:
%ld)\n"),
                                         progname, pid);
                exit(1);
        }

        /* If recovery.conf doesn't exist, the server is not in standby mode */
        if (stat(recovery_file, &statbuf) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot promote server; "
                                           "server is not in standby mode\n"),
                                         progname);
                exit(1);
        }

        /*
         * For 9.3 onwards, "fast" promotion is performed. Promotion with a full
         * checkpoint is still possible by writing a file called
         * "fallback_promote" instead of "promote"
         */
        snprintf(promote_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/promote", pg_data);

        if ((prmfile = fopen(promote_file, "w")) == NULL)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not create promote signal file
\"%s\": %s\n"),
                                         progname, promote_file,
strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }
        if (fclose(prmfile))
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not write promote signal file \"%s\":
%s\n"),
                                         progname, promote_file,
strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }

        sig = SIGUSR1;
        if (kill((pid_t) pid, sig) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not send promote signal (PID: %ld):
%s\n"),
                                         progname, pid, strerror(errno));
                if (unlink(promote_file) != 0)
                        write_stderr(_("%s: could not remove promote signal
file \"%s\": %s\n"),
                                                 progname, promote_file,
strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }

        print_msg(_("server promoting\n"));
}

/*
 *      utility routines
 */

static bool
postmaster_is_alive(pid_t pid)
{
        /*
         * Test to see if the process is still there.  Note that we do not
         * consider an EPERM failure to mean that the process is still there;
         * EPERM must mean that the given PID belongs to some other userid, and
         * considering the permissions on $PGDATA, that means it's not the
         * postmaster we are after.
         *
         * Don't believe that our own PID or parent shell's PID is the
postmaster,
         * either.  (Windows hasn't got getppid(), though.)
         */
        if (pid == getpid())
                return false;
#ifndef WIN32
        if (pid == getppid())
                return false;
#endif
        if (kill(pid, 0) == 0)
                return true;
        return false;
}

static void
do_status(void)
{
        pgpid_t         pid;

        pid = get_pgpid(true);
        /* Is there a pid file? */
        if (pid != 0)
        {
                /* standalone backend? */
                if (pid < 0)
                {
                        pid = -pid;
                        if (postmaster_is_alive((pid_t) pid))
                        {
                                printf(_("%s: single-user server is running
(PID: %ld)\n"),
                                           progname, pid);
                                return;
                        }
                }
                else
                        /* must be a postmaster */
                {
                        if (postmaster_is_alive((pid_t) pid))
                        {
                                char      **optlines;
                                char      **curr_line;

                                printf(_("%s: server is running (PID: %ld)\n"),
                                           progname, pid);

                                optlines = readfile(postopts_file);
                                if (optlines != NULL)
                                {
                                        for (curr_line = optlines; *curr_line
!= NULL; curr_line++)
                                                fputs(*curr_line, stdout);

                                        /* Free the results of readfile */
                                        free_readfile(optlines);
                                }
                                return;
                        }
                }
        }
        printf(_("%s: no server running\n"), progname);

        /*
         * The Linux Standard Base Core Specification 3.1 says this should
return
         * '3, program is not running'
         *
https://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-gener
         * ic/iniscrptact.html
         */
        exit(3);
}

static void
do_kill(pgpid_t pid)
{
        if (kill((pid_t) pid, sig) != 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not send signal %d (PID: %ld): %s\n"),
                                         progname, sig, pid, strerror(errno));
                exit(1);
        }
}

#ifdef WIN32

#if (_MSC_VER < 1800)
static bool
IsWindowsXPOrGreater(void)
{
        OSVERSIONINFO osv;

        osv.dwOSVersionInfoSize = sizeof(osv);

        /* Windows XP = Version 5.1 */
        return (!GetVersionEx(&osv) ||          /* could not get version */
                        osv.dwMajorVersion > 5 || (osv.dwMajorVersion == 5 &&
osv.dwMinorVersion >= 1));
}

static bool
IsWindows7OrGreater(void)
{
        OSVERSIONINFO osv;

        osv.dwOSVersionInfoSize = sizeof(osv);

        /* Windows 7 = Version 6.0 */
        return (!GetVersionEx(&osv) ||          /* could not get version */
                        osv.dwMajorVersion > 6 || (osv.dwMajorVersion == 6 &&
osv.dwMinorVersion >= 0));
}
#endif

static bool
pgwin32_IsInstalled(SC_HANDLE hSCM)
{
        SC_HANDLE       hService = OpenService(hSCM, register_servicename,
SERVICE_QUERY_CONFIG);
        bool            bResult = (hService != NULL);

        if (bResult)
                CloseServiceHandle(hService);
        return bResult;
}

static char *
pgwin32_CommandLine(bool registration)
{
        PQExpBuffer cmdLine = createPQExpBuffer();
        char            cmdPath[MAXPGPATH];
        int                     ret;

        if (registration)
        {
                ret = find_my_exec(argv0, cmdPath);
                if (ret != 0)
                {
                        write_stderr(_("%s: could not find own program
executable\n"), progname);
                        exit(1);
                }
        }
        else
        {
                ret = find_other_exec(argv0, "postgres", PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR,
                                                          cmdPath);
                if (ret != 0)
                {
                        write_stderr(_("%s: could not find postgres program
executable\n"), progname);
                        exit(1);
                }
        }

        /* if path does not end in .exe, append it */
        if (strlen(cmdPath) < 4 ||
                pg_strcasecmp(cmdPath + strlen(cmdPath) - 4, ".exe") != 0)
                snprintf(cmdPath + strlen(cmdPath), sizeof(cmdPath) -
strlen(cmdPath),
                                 ".exe");

        /* use backslashes in path to avoid problems with some third-party
tools */
        make_native_path(cmdPath);

        /* be sure to double-quote the executable's name in the command */
        appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, "\"%s\"", cmdPath);

        /* append assorted switches to the command line, as needed */

        if (registration)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " runservice -N \"%s\"",
                                                  register_servicename);

        if (pg_config)
        {
                /* We need the -D path to be absolute */
                char       *dataDir;

                if ((dataDir = make_absolute_path(pg_config)) == NULL)
                {
                        /* make_absolute_path already reported the error */
                        exit(1);
                }
                make_native_path(dataDir);
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -D \"%s\"", dataDir);
                free(dataDir);
        }

        if (registration && event_source != NULL)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -e \"%s\"", event_source);

        if (registration && do_wait)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -w");

        if (registration && del_service_rid)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -z");

        /* Don't propagate a value from an environment variable. */
        if (registration && wait_seconds_arg && wait_seconds != DEFAULT_WAIT)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -t %d", wait_seconds);

        if (registration && silent_mode)
                appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -s");

        if (post_opts)
        {
                if (registration)
                        appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " -o \"%s\"", post_opts);
                else
                        appendPQExpBuffer(cmdLine, " %s", post_opts);
        }

        return cmdLine->data;
}

static void
pgwin32_doRegister(void)
{
        SC_HANDLE       hService;
        SC_HANDLE       hSCM = OpenSCManager(NULL, NULL, SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS);

        if (hSCM == NULL)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not open service manager\n"),
progname);
                exit(1);
        }
        if (pgwin32_IsInstalled(hSCM))
        {
                CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
                write_stderr(_("%s: service \"%s\" already registered\n"),
progname, register_servicename);
                exit(1);
        }

        if ((hService = CreateService(hSCM, register_servicename,
register_servicename,
                                                           SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS,
SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS,

pgctl_start_type, SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL,

pgwin32_CommandLine(true),
           NULL, NULL, "RPCSS\0", register_username, register_password)) ==
NULL)
        {
                CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not register service \"%s\": error
code %lu\n"),
                                         progname, register_servicename,
                                         (unsigned long) GetLastError());
                exit(1);
        }
        CloseServiceHandle(hService);
        CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
}

static void
pgwin32_doUnregister(void)
{
        SC_HANDLE       hService;
        SC_HANDLE       hSCM = OpenSCManager(NULL, NULL, SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS);

        if (hSCM == NULL)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not open service manager\n"),
progname);
                exit(1);
        }
        if (!pgwin32_IsInstalled(hSCM))
        {
                CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
                write_stderr(_("%s: service \"%s\" not registered\n"),
progname, register_servicename);
                exit(1);
        }

        if ((hService = OpenService(hSCM, register_servicename, DELETE)) ==
NULL)
        {
                CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not open service \"%s\": error code
%lu\n"),
                                         progname, register_servicename,
                                         (unsigned long) GetLastError());
                exit(1);
        }
        if (!DeleteService(hService))
        {
                CloseServiceHandle(hService);
                CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not unregister service \"%s\": error
code %lu\n"),
                                         progname, register_servicename,
                                         (unsigned long) GetLastError());
                exit(1);
        }
        CloseServiceHandle(hService);
        CloseServiceHandle(hSCM);
}

static void
pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(DWORD currentState)
{
        status.dwCurrentState = currentState;
        SetServiceStatus(hStatus, (LPSERVICE_STATUS) &status);
}

static void WINAPI
pgwin32_ServiceHandler(DWORD request)
{
        switch (request)
        {
                case SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP:
                case SERVICE_CONTROL_SHUTDOWN:

                        /*
                         * We only need a short wait hint here as it just needs
to wait
                         * for the next checkpoint. They occur every 5 seconds
during
                         * shutdown
                         */
                        status.dwWaitHint = 10000;
                        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOP_PENDING);
                        SetEvent(shutdownEvent);
                        return;

                case SERVICE_CONTROL_PAUSE:
                        /* Win32 config reloading */
                        status.dwWaitHint = 5000;
                        kill(postmasterPID, SIGHUP);
                        return;

                        /* FIXME: These could be used to replace other signals
etc */
                case SERVICE_CONTROL_CONTINUE:
                case SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE:
                default:
                        break;
        }
}

static void WINAPI
pgwin32_ServiceMain(DWORD argc, LPTSTR *argv)
{
        PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
        DWORD           ret;

        /* Initialize variables */
        status.dwWin32ExitCode = S_OK;
        status.dwCheckPoint = 0;
        status.dwWaitHint = 60000;
        status.dwServiceType = SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS;
        status.dwControlsAccepted = SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP |
SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN | SERVICE_ACCEPT_PAUSE_CONTINUE;
        status.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = 0;
        status.dwCurrentState = SERVICE_START_PENDING;

        memset(&pi, 0, sizeof(pi));

        read_post_opts();

        /* Register the control request handler */
        if ((hStatus = RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(register_servicename,
pgwin32_ServiceHandler)) == (SERVICE_STATUS_HANDLE) 0)
                return;

        if ((shutdownEvent = CreateEvent(NULL, true, false, NULL)) == NULL)
                return;

        /* Start the postmaster */
        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_START_PENDING);
        if (!CreateRestrictedProcess(pgwin32_CommandLine(false), &pi, true))
        {
                pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOPPED);
                return;
        }
        postmasterPID = pi.dwProcessId;
        postmasterProcess = pi.hProcess;
        CloseHandle(pi.hThread);

        if (do_wait)
        {
                write_eventlog(EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE, _("Waiting for server
startup...\n"));
                if (test_postmaster_connection(postmasterPID, true) !=
PQPING_OK)
                {
                        write_eventlog(EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE, _("Timed out
waiting for server startup\n"));
                        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOPPED);
                        return;
                }
                write_eventlog(EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE, _("Server started and
accepting connections\n"));
        }

        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_RUNNING);

        /* Wait for quit... */
        ret = WaitForMultipleObjects(2, shutdownHandles, FALSE, INFINITE);

        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOP_PENDING);
        switch (ret)
        {
                case WAIT_OBJECT_0:             /* shutdown event */
                        {
                                /*
                                 * status.dwCheckPoint can be incremented by
                                 * test_postmaster_connection(), so it might
not start from 0.
                                 */
                                int                     maxShutdownCheckPoint =
status.dwCheckPoint + 12;

                                kill(postmasterPID, SIGINT);

                                /*
                                 * Increment the checkpoint and try again.
Abort after 12
                                 * checkpoints as the postmaster has probably
hung.
                                 */
                                while (WaitForSingleObject(postmasterProcess,
5000) == WAIT_TIMEOUT && status.dwCheckPoint < maxShutdownCheckPoint)
                                {
                                        status.dwCheckPoint++;
                                        SetServiceStatus(hStatus,
(LPSERVICE_STATUS) &status);
                                }
                                break;
                        }

                case (WAIT_OBJECT_0 + 1):               /* postmaster went down
*/
                        break;

                default:
                        /* shouldn't get here? */
                        break;
        }

        CloseHandle(shutdownEvent);
        CloseHandle(postmasterProcess);

        pgwin32_SetServiceStatus(SERVICE_STOPPED);
}

static void
pgwin32_doRunAsService(void)
{
        SERVICE_TABLE_ENTRY st[] = {{register_servicename, pgwin32_ServiceMain},
        {NULL, NULL}};

        if (StartServiceCtrlDispatcher(st) == 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not start service \"%s\": error code
%lu\n"),
                                         progname, register_servicename,
                                         (unsigned long) GetLastError());
                exit(1);
        }
}

/*
 * Mingw headers are incomplete, and so are the libraries. So we have to load
 * a whole lot of API functions dynamically. Since we have to do this anyway,
 * also load the couple of functions that *do* exist in minwg headers but not
 * on NT4. That way, we don't break on NT4.
 */
typedef BOOL (WINAPI * __CreateRestrictedToken) (HANDLE, DWORD, DWORD,
PSID_AND_ATTRIBUTES, DWORD, PLUID_AND_ATTRIBUTES, DWORD, PSID_AND_ATTRIBUTES,
PHANDLE);
typedef BOOL (WINAPI * __IsProcessInJob) (HANDLE, HANDLE, PBOOL);
typedef HANDLE (WINAPI * __CreateJobObject) (LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, LPCTSTR);
typedef BOOL (WINAPI * __SetInformationJobObject) (HANDLE, JOBOBJECTINFOCLASS,
LPVOID, DWORD);
typedef BOOL (WINAPI * __AssignProcessToJobObject) (HANDLE, HANDLE);
typedef BOOL (WINAPI * __QueryInformationJobObject) (HANDLE,
JOBOBJECTINFOCLASS, LPVOID, DWORD, LPDWORD);

/* Windows API define missing from some versions of MingW headers */
#ifndef  DISABLE_MAX_PRIVILEGE
#define DISABLE_MAX_PRIVILEGE   0x1
#endif

/*
 * Create a restricted token, a job object sandbox, and execute the specified
 * process with it.
 *
 * Returns 0 on success, non-zero on failure, same as CreateProcess().
 *
 * On NT4, or any other system not containing the required functions, will
 * launch the process under the current token without doing any modifications.
 *
 * NOTE! Job object will only work when running as a service, because it's
 * automatically destroyed when pg_ctl exits.
 */
static int
CreateRestrictedProcess(char *cmd, PROCESS_INFORMATION *processInfo, bool
as_service)
{
        int                     r;
        BOOL            b;
        STARTUPINFO si;
        HANDLE          origToken;
        HANDLE          restrictedToken;
        SID_IDENTIFIER_AUTHORITY NtAuthority = {SECURITY_NT_AUTHORITY};
        SID_AND_ATTRIBUTES dropSids[3];

        /* Functions loaded dynamically */
        __CreateRestrictedToken _CreateRestrictedToken = NULL;
        __IsProcessInJob _IsProcessInJob = NULL;
        __CreateJobObject _CreateJobObject = NULL;
        __SetInformationJobObject _SetInformationJobObject = NULL;
        __AssignProcessToJobObject _AssignProcessToJobObject = NULL;
        __QueryInformationJobObject _QueryInformationJobObject = NULL;
        HANDLE          Kernel32Handle;
        HANDLE          Advapi32Handle;

        ZeroMemory(&si, sizeof(si));
        si.cb = sizeof(si);

        Advapi32Handle = LoadLibrary("ADVAPI32.DLL");
        if (Advapi32Handle != NULL)
        {
                _CreateRestrictedToken = (__CreateRestrictedToken)
GetProcAddress(Advapi32Handle, "CreateRestrictedToken");
        }

        if (_CreateRestrictedToken == NULL)
        {
                /*
                 * NT4 doesn't have CreateRestrictedToken, so just call ordinary
                 * CreateProcess
                 */
                write_stderr(_("%s: WARNING: cannot create restricted tokens on
this platform\n"), progname);
                if (Advapi32Handle != NULL)
                        FreeLibrary(Advapi32Handle);
                return CreateProcess(NULL, cmd, NULL, NULL, FALSE, 0, NULL,
NULL, &si, processInfo);
        }

        /* Open the current token to use as a base for the restricted one */
        if (!OpenProcessToken(GetCurrentProcess(), TOKEN_ALL_ACCESS,
&origToken))
        {
                /*
                 * Most Windows targets make DWORD a 32-bit unsigned long, but
in case
                 * it doesn't cast DWORD before printing.
                 */
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not open process token: error code
%lu\n"),
                                         progname, (unsigned long)
GetLastError());
                return 0;
        }

        /* Allocate list of SIDs to remove */
        ZeroMemory(&dropSids, sizeof(dropSids));
        if (!AllocateAndInitializeSid(&NtAuthority, 2,
                 SECURITY_BUILTIN_DOMAIN_RID, DOMAIN_ALIAS_RID_ADMINS, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0,
                                                                  0,
&dropSids[0].Sid) ||
                !AllocateAndInitializeSid(&NtAuthority, 2,
        SECURITY_BUILTIN_DOMAIN_RID, DOMAIN_ALIAS_RID_POWER_USERS, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0,
                                                                  0,
&dropSids[1].Sid) ||
                !AllocateAndInitializeSid(&NtAuthority, 1,
        SECURITY_SERVICE_RID, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
                                                                  0,
&dropSids[2].Sid))
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not allocate SIDs: error code %lu\n"),
                                         progname, (unsigned long)
GetLastError());
                return 0;
        }

        b = _CreateRestrictedToken(origToken,

DISABLE_MAX_PRIVILEGE,
del_service_rid ?
                                                           (sizeof(dropSids) /
sizeof(dropSids[0])) :
                                                           (sizeof(dropSids) /
sizeof(dropSids[0]) - 1),
                                                           dropSids,
                                                           0, NULL,
                                                           0, NULL,
                                                           &restrictedToken);

        FreeSid(dropSids[1].Sid);
        FreeSid(dropSids[0].Sid);
        CloseHandle(origToken);
        FreeLibrary(Advapi32Handle);

        if (!b)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not create restricted token: error
code %lu\n"),
                                         progname, (unsigned long)
GetLastError());
                return 0;
        }

        AddUserToTokenDacl(restrictedToken);
        EnableLockPagesPrivilege(restrictedToken);
        r = CreateProcessAsUser(restrictedToken, NULL, cmd, NULL, NULL, TRUE,
CREATE_SUSPENDED, NULL, NULL, &si, processInfo);

        Kernel32Handle = LoadLibrary("KERNEL32.DLL");
        if (Kernel32Handle != NULL)
        {
                _IsProcessInJob = (__IsProcessInJob)
GetProcAddress(Kernel32Handle, "IsProcessInJob");
                _CreateJobObject = (__CreateJobObject)
GetProcAddress(Kernel32Handle, "CreateJobObjectA");
                _SetInformationJobObject = (__SetInformationJobObject)
GetProcAddress(Kernel32Handle, "SetInformationJobObject");
                _AssignProcessToJobObject = (__AssignProcessToJobObject)
GetProcAddress(Kernel32Handle, "AssignProcessToJobObject");
                _QueryInformationJobObject = (__QueryInformationJobObject)
GetProcAddress(Kernel32Handle, "QueryInformationJobObject");
        }

        /* Verify that we found all functions */
        if (_IsProcessInJob == NULL || _CreateJobObject == NULL ||
_SetInformationJobObject == NULL || _AssignProcessToJobObject == NULL ||
_QueryInformationJobObject == NULL)
        {
                /*
                 * IsProcessInJob() is not available on < WinXP, so there is no
need
                 * to log the error every time in that case
                 */
                if (IsWindowsXPOrGreater())

                        /*
                         * Log error if we can't get version, or if we're on
WinXP/2003 or
                         * newer
                         */
                        write_stderr(_("%s: WARNING: could not locate all job
object functions in system API\n"), progname);
        }
        else
        {
                BOOL            inJob;

                if (_IsProcessInJob(processInfo->hProcess, NULL, &inJob))
                {
                        if (!inJob)
                        {
                                /*
                                 * Job objects are working, and the new process
isn't in one,
                                 * so we can create one safely. If any problems
show up when
                                 * setting it, we're going to ignore them.
                                 */
                                HANDLE          job;
                                char            jobname[128];

                                sprintf(jobname, "PostgreSQL_%lu",
                                                (unsigned long)
processInfo->dwProcessId);

                                job = _CreateJobObject(NULL, jobname);
                                if (job)
                                {
                                        JOBOBJECT_BASIC_LIMIT_INFORMATION
basicLimit;
                                        JOBOBJECT_BASIC_UI_RESTRICTIONS
uiRestrictions;
                                        JOBOBJECT_SECURITY_LIMIT_INFORMATION
securityLimit;

                                        ZeroMemory(&basicLimit,
sizeof(basicLimit));
                                        ZeroMemory(&uiRestrictions,
sizeof(uiRestrictions));
                                        ZeroMemory(&securityLimit,
sizeof(securityLimit));

                                        basicLimit.LimitFlags =
JOB_OBJECT_LIMIT_DIE_ON_UNHANDLED_EXCEPTION | JOB_OBJECT_LIMIT_PRIORITY_CLASS;
                                        basicLimit.PriorityClass =
NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS;
                                        _SetInformationJobObject(job,
JobObjectBasicLimitInformation, &basicLimit, sizeof(basicLimit));

                                        uiRestrictions.UIRestrictionsClass =
JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_DESKTOP | JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_DISPLAYSETTINGS |
                                                JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_EXITWINDOWS
| JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_READCLIPBOARD |

JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_SYSTEMPARAMETERS | JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_WRITECLIPBOARD;

                                        if (as_service)
                                        {
                                                if (!IsWindows7OrGreater())
                                                {
                                                        /*
                                                         * On Windows 7 (and
presumably later),
                                                         *
JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_HANDLES prevents us from
                                                         * starting as a
service. So we only enable it on
                                                         * Vista and earlier
(version <= 6.0)
                                                         */

uiRestrictions.UIRestrictionsClass |= JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_HANDLES;
                                                }
                                        }
                                        _SetInformationJobObject(job,
JobObjectBasicUIRestrictions, &uiRestrictions, sizeof(uiRestrictions));

                                        securityLimit.SecurityLimitFlags =
JOB_OBJECT_SECURITY_NO_ADMIN | JOB_OBJECT_SECURITY_ONLY_TOKEN;
                                        securityLimit.JobToken =
restrictedToken;
                                        _SetInformationJobObject(job,
JobObjectSecurityLimitInformation, &securityLimit, sizeof(securityLimit));

                                        _AssignProcessToJobObject(job,
processInfo->hProcess);
                                }
                        }
                }
        }

        CloseHandle(restrictedToken);

        ResumeThread(processInfo->hThread);

        FreeLibrary(Kernel32Handle);

        /*
         * We intentionally don't close the job object handle, because we want
the
         * object to live on until pg_ctl shuts down.
         */
        return r;
}
#endif   /* WIN32 */

/*
 * Try to acquire SeLockMemoryPrivilege so we can use large pages.
 * Don't output error messages because this is called regardless
 * of whether the user wants to use large pages
 * (huge_pages = {on | try} in postgresql.conf).
 */
static void
EnableLockPagesPrivilege(HANDLE hToken)
{
        HANDLE hTmpToken;
        TOKEN_PRIVILEGES tp;
        LUID luid;

        if (!LookupPrivilegeValue(NULL, SE_LOCK_MEMORY_NAME, &luid))
                return;
        tp.PrivilegeCount = 1;
        tp.Privileges[0].Luid = luid;
        tp.Privileges[0].Attributes = SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED;

/*
        if (!DuplicateHandle(GetCurrentProcess(), *hToken, GetCurrentProcess(),
&hTmpToken,
                TOKEN_ADJUST_PRIVILEGES | TOKEN_QUERY, TRUE, 0))
                return;
        CloseHandle(*hToken);
        *hToken = hTmpToken;
*/

        if (!AdjustTokenPrivileges(hToken, FALSE, &tp, 0, NULL, NULL))
                fprintf(stderr, "AdjustTokenPrivileges failed: %u\n",
GetLastError());
        printf("error code %u\n", GetLastError());
}

static void
do_advice(void)
{
        write_stderr(_("Try \"%s --help\" for more information.\n"), progname);
}

static void
do_help(void)
{
        printf(_("%s is a utility to initialize, start, stop, or control a
PostgreSQL server.\n\n"), progname);
        printf(_("Usage:\n"));
        printf(_("  %s init[db]               [-D DATADIR] [-s] [-o
\"OPTIONS\"]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s start   [-w] [-t SECS] [-D DATADIR] [-s] [-l FILENAME]
[-o \"OPTIONS\"]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s stop    [-W] [-t SECS] [-D DATADIR] [-s] [-m
SHUTDOWN-MODE]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s restart [-w] [-t SECS] [-D DATADIR] [-s] [-m
SHUTDOWN-MODE]\n"
                         "                 [-o \"OPTIONS\"]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s reload  [-D DATADIR] [-s]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s status  [-D DATADIR]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s promote [-D DATADIR] [-s]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s kill    SIGNALNAME PID\n"), progname);
#ifdef WIN32
        printf(_("  %s register   [-N SERVICENAME] [-U USERNAME] [-P PASSWORD]
[-D DATADIR]\n"
                         "                    [-S START-TYPE] [-w] [-t SECS]
[-o \"OPTIONS\"]\n"), progname);
        printf(_("  %s unregister [-N SERVICENAME]\n"), progname);
#endif

        printf(_("\nCommon options:\n"));
        printf(_("  -D, --pgdata=DATADIR   location of the database storage
area\n"));
#ifdef WIN32
        printf(_("  -e SOURCE              event source for logging when
running as a service\n"));
#endif
        printf(_("  -s, --silent           only print errors, no informational
messages\n"));
        printf(_("  -t, --timeout=SECS     seconds to wait when using -w
option\n"));
        printf(_("  -V, --version          output version information, then
exit\n"));
        printf(_("  -w                     wait until operation completes\n"));
        printf(_("  -W                     do not wait until operation
completes\n"));
        printf(_("  -?, --help             show this help, then exit\n"));
        printf(_("(The default is to wait for shutdown, but not for start or
restart.)\n\n"));
        printf(_("If the -D option is omitted, the environment variable PGDATA
is used.\n"));

        printf(_("\nOptions for start or restart:\n"));
#if defined(HAVE_GETRLIMIT) && defined(RLIMIT_CORE)
        printf(_("  -c, --core-files       allow postgres to produce core
files\n"));
#else
        printf(_("  -c, --core-files       not applicable on this platform\n"));
#endif
        printf(_("  -l, --log=FILENAME     write (or append) server log to
FILENAME\n"));
        printf(_("  -o OPTIONS             command line options to pass to
postgres\n"
         "                         (PostgreSQL server executable) or
initdb\n"));
        printf(_("  -p PATH-TO-POSTGRES    normally not necessary\n"));
        printf(_("\nOptions for stop or restart:\n"));
        printf(_("  -m, --mode=MODE        MODE can be \"smart\", \"fast\", or
\"immediate\"\n"));

        printf(_("\nShutdown modes are:\n"));
        printf(_("  smart       quit after all clients have disconnected\n"));
        printf(_("  fast        quit directly, with proper shutdown\n"));
        printf(_("  immediate   quit without complete shutdown; will lead to
recovery on restart\n"));

        printf(_("\nAllowed signal names for kill:\n"));
        printf("  ABRT HUP INT QUIT TERM USR1 USR2\n");

#ifdef WIN32
        printf(_("\nOptions for register and unregister:\n"));
        printf(_("  -N SERVICENAME  service name with which to register
PostgreSQL server\n"));
        printf(_("  -P PASSWORD     password of account to register PostgreSQL
server\n"));
        printf(_("  -U USERNAME     user name of account to register PostgreSQL
server\n"));
        printf(_("  -S START-TYPE   service start type to register PostgreSQL
server\n"));

        printf(_("\nStart types are:\n"));
        printf(_("  auto       start service automatically during system
startup (default)\n"));
        printf(_("  demand     start service on demand\n"));
#endif

        printf(_("\nReport bugs to <pgsql-b...@postgresql.org>.\n"));
}

static void
set_mode(char *modeopt)
{
        if (strcmp(modeopt, "s") == 0 || strcmp(modeopt, "smart") == 0)
        {
                shutdown_mode = SMART_MODE;
                sig = SIGTERM;
        }
        else if (strcmp(modeopt, "f") == 0 || strcmp(modeopt, "fast") == 0)
        {
                shutdown_mode = FAST_MODE;
                sig = SIGINT;
        }
        else if (strcmp(modeopt, "i") == 0 || strcmp(modeopt, "immediate") == 0)
        {
                shutdown_mode = IMMEDIATE_MODE;
                sig = SIGQUIT;
        }
        else
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: unrecognized shutdown mode \"%s\"\n"),
progname, modeopt);
                do_advice();
                exit(1);
        }
}

static void
set_sig(char *signame)
{
        if (strcmp(signame, "HUP") == 0)
                sig = SIGHUP;
        else if (strcmp(signame, "INT") == 0)
                sig = SIGINT;
        else if (strcmp(signame, "QUIT") == 0)
                sig = SIGQUIT;
        else if (strcmp(signame, "ABRT") == 0)
                sig = SIGABRT;
#if 0
        /* probably should NOT provide SIGKILL */
        else if (strcmp(signame, "KILL") == 0)
                sig = SIGKILL;
#endif
        else if (strcmp(signame, "TERM") == 0)
                sig = SIGTERM;
        else if (strcmp(signame, "USR1") == 0)
                sig = SIGUSR1;
        else if (strcmp(signame, "USR2") == 0)
                sig = SIGUSR2;
        else
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: unrecognized signal name \"%s\"\n"),
progname, signame);
                do_advice();
                exit(1);
        }
}

#ifdef WIN32
static void
set_starttype(char *starttypeopt)
{
        if (strcmp(starttypeopt, "a") == 0 || strcmp(starttypeopt, "auto") == 0)
                pgctl_start_type = SERVICE_AUTO_START;
        else if (strcmp(starttypeopt, "d") == 0 || strcmp(starttypeopt,
"demand") == 0)
                pgctl_start_type = SERVICE_DEMAND_START;
        else
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: unrecognized start type \"%s\"\n"),
progname, starttypeopt);
                do_advice();
                exit(1);
        }
}
#endif

/*
 * adjust_data_dir
 *
 * If a configuration-only directory was specified, find the real data dir.
 */
static void
adjust_data_dir(void)
{
        char            cmd[MAXPGPATH],
                                filename[MAXPGPATH],
                           *my_exec_path;
        FILE       *fd;

        /* do nothing if we're working without knowledge of data dir */
        if (pg_config == NULL)
                return;

        /* If there is no postgresql.conf, it can't be a config-only dir */
        snprintf(filename, sizeof(filename), "%s/postgresql.conf", pg_config);
        if ((fd = fopen(filename, "r")) == NULL)
                return;
        fclose(fd);

        /* If PG_VERSION exists, it can't be a config-only dir */
        snprintf(filename, sizeof(filename), "%s/PG_VERSION", pg_config);
        if ((fd = fopen(filename, "r")) != NULL)
        {
                fclose(fd);
                return;
        }

        /* Must be a configuration directory, so find the data directory */

        /* we use a private my_exec_path to avoid interfering with later uses */
        if (exec_path == NULL)
                my_exec_path = find_other_exec_or_die(argv0, "postgres",
PG_BACKEND_VERSIONSTR);
        else
                my_exec_path = pg_strdup(exec_path);

        /* it's important for -C to be the first option, see main.c */
        snprintf(cmd, MAXPGPATH, "\"%s\" -C data_directory %s%s",
                         my_exec_path,
                         pgdata_opt ? pgdata_opt : "",
                         post_opts ? post_opts : "");

        fd = popen(cmd, "r");
        if (fd == NULL || fgets(filename, sizeof(filename), fd) == NULL)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: could not determine the data directory
using command \"%s\"\n"), progname, cmd);
                exit(1);
        }
        pclose(fd);
        free(my_exec_path);

        /* Remove trailing newline */
        if (strchr(filename, '\n') != NULL)
                *strchr(filename, '\n') = '\0';

        free(pg_data);
        pg_data = pg_strdup(filename);
        canonicalize_path(pg_data);
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        static struct option long_options[] = {
                {"help", no_argument, NULL, '?'},
                {"version", no_argument, NULL, 'V'},
                {"log", required_argument, NULL, 'l'},
                {"mode", required_argument, NULL, 'm'},
                {"pgdata", required_argument, NULL, 'D'},
                {"silent", no_argument, NULL, 's'},
                {"timeout", required_argument, NULL, 't'},
                {"core-files", no_argument, NULL, 'c'},
                {NULL, 0, NULL, 0}
        };

        char       *env_wait;
        int                     option_index;
        int                     c;
        pgpid_t         killproc = 0;

#ifdef WIN32
        setvbuf(stderr, NULL, _IONBF, 0);
#endif

        progname = get_progname(argv[0]);
        set_pglocale_pgservice(argv[0], PG_TEXTDOMAIN("pg_ctl"));
        start_time = time(NULL);

        /*
         * save argv[0] so do_start() can look for the postmaster if necessary.
we
         * don't look for postmaster here because in many cases we won't need
it.
         */
        argv0 = argv[0];

        umask(S_IRWXG | S_IRWXO);

        /* support --help and --version even if invoked as root */
        if (argc > 1)
        {
                if (strcmp(argv[1], "--help") == 0 || strcmp(argv[1], "-?") ==
0)
                {
                        do_help();
                        exit(0);
                }
                else if (strcmp(argv[1], "--version") == 0 || strcmp(argv[1],
"-V") == 0)
                {
                        puts("pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) " PG_VERSION);
                        exit(0);
                }
        }

        /*
         * Disallow running as root, to forestall any possible security holes.
         */
#ifndef WIN32
        if (geteuid() == 0)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: cannot be run as root\n"
                                           "Please log in (using, e.g., \"su\")
as the "
                                           "(unprivileged) user that will\n"
                                           "own the server process.\n"),
                                         progname);
                exit(1);
        }
#endif

        env_wait = getenv("PGCTLTIMEOUT");
        if (env_wait != NULL)
                wait_seconds = atoi(env_wait);

        /*
         * 'Action' can be before or after args so loop over both. Some
         * getopt_long() implementations will reorder argv[] to place all flags
         * first (GNU?), but we don't rely on it. Our /port version doesn't do
         * that.
         */
        optind = 1;

        /* process command-line options */
        while (optind < argc)
        {
                while ((c = getopt_long(argc, argv,
"cD:e:l:m:N:o:p:P:sS:t:U:wWz", long_options, &option_index)) != -1)
                {
                        switch (c)
                        {
                                case 'D':
                                        {
                                                char       *pgdata_D;
                                                char       *env_var;

                                                pgdata_D = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                                canonicalize_path(pgdata_D);
                                                env_var = psprintf("PGDATA=%s",
pgdata_D);
                                                putenv(env_var);

                                                /*
                                                 * We could pass PGDATA just in
an environment
                                                 * variable but we do -D too
for clearer postmaster
                                                 * 'ps' display
                                                 */
                                                pgdata_opt = psprintf("-D
\"%s\" ", pgdata_D);
                                                break;
                                        }
                                case 'e':
                                        event_source = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'l':
                                        log_file = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'm':
                                        set_mode(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'N':
                                        register_servicename =
pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'o':
                                        /* append option? */
                                        if (!post_opts)
                                                post_opts = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        else
                                        {
                                                char       *old_post_opts =
post_opts;

                                                post_opts = psprintf("%s %s",
old_post_opts, optarg);
                                                free(old_post_opts);
                                        }
                                        break;
                                case 'p':
                                        exec_path = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'P':
                                        register_password = pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 's':
                                        silent_mode = true;
                                        break;
                                case 'S':
#ifdef WIN32
                                        set_starttype(optarg);
#else
                                        write_stderr(_("%s: -S option not
supported on this platform\n"),
                                                                 progname);
                                        exit(1);
#endif
                                        break;
                                case 't':
                                        wait_seconds = atoi(optarg);
                                        wait_seconds_arg = true;
                                        break;
                                case 'U':
                                        if (strchr(optarg, '\\'))
                                                register_username =
pg_strdup(optarg);
                                        else
                                                /* Prepend .\ for local
accounts */
                                                register_username =
psprintf(".\\%s", optarg);
                                        break;
                                case 'w':
                                        do_wait = true;
                                        wait_set = true;
                                        break;
                                case 'z':
                                        del_service_rid = true;
                                        break;
                                case 'W':
                                        do_wait = false;
                                        wait_set = true;
                                        break;
                                case 'c':
                                        allow_core_files = true;
                                        break;
                                default:
                                        /* getopt_long already issued a
suitable error message */
                                        do_advice();
                                        exit(1);
                        }
                }

                /* Process an action */
                if (optind < argc)
                {
                        if (ctl_command != NO_COMMAND)
                        {
                                write_stderr(_("%s: too many command-line
arguments (first is \"%s\")\n"), progname, argv[optind]);
                                do_advice();
                                exit(1);
                        }

                        if (strcmp(argv[optind], "init") == 0
                                || strcmp(argv[optind], "initdb") == 0)
                                ctl_command = INIT_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "start") == 0)
                                ctl_command = START_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "stop") == 0)
                                ctl_command = STOP_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "restart") == 0)
                                ctl_command = RESTART_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "reload") == 0)
                                ctl_command = RELOAD_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "status") == 0)
                                ctl_command = STATUS_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "promote") == 0)
                                ctl_command = PROMOTE_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "kill") == 0)
                        {
                                if (argc - optind < 3)
                                {
                                        write_stderr(_("%s: missing arguments
for kill mode\n"), progname);
                                        do_advice();
                                        exit(1);
                                }
                                ctl_command = KILL_COMMAND;
                                set_sig(argv[++optind]);
                                killproc = atol(argv[++optind]);
                        }
#ifdef WIN32
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "register") == 0)
                                ctl_command = REGISTER_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "unregister") == 0)
                                ctl_command = UNREGISTER_COMMAND;
                        else if (strcmp(argv[optind], "runservice") == 0)
                                ctl_command = RUN_AS_SERVICE_COMMAND;
#endif
                        else
                        {
                                write_stderr(_("%s: unrecognized operation mode
\"%s\"\n"), progname, argv[optind]);
                                do_advice();
                                exit(1);
                        }
                        optind++;
                }
        }

        if (ctl_command == NO_COMMAND)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: no operation specified\n"), progname);
                do_advice();
                exit(1);
        }

        /* Note we put any -D switch into the env var above */
        pg_config = getenv("PGDATA");
        if (pg_config)
        {
                pg_config = pg_strdup(pg_config);
                canonicalize_path(pg_config);
                pg_data = pg_strdup(pg_config);
        }

        /* -D might point at config-only directory; if so find the real PGDATA
*/
        adjust_data_dir();

        /* Complain if -D needed and not provided */
        if (pg_config == NULL &&
                ctl_command != KILL_COMMAND && ctl_command !=
UNREGISTER_COMMAND)
        {
                write_stderr(_("%s: no database directory specified and
environment variable PGDATA unset\n"),
                                         progname);
                do_advice();
                exit(1);
        }

        if (!wait_set)
        {
                switch (ctl_command)
                {
                        case RESTART_COMMAND:
                        case START_COMMAND:
                                do_wait = false;
                                break;
                        case STOP_COMMAND:
                                do_wait = true;
                                break;
                        default:
                                break;
                }
        }

        if (ctl_command == RELOAD_COMMAND)
        {
                sig = SIGHUP;
                do_wait = false;
        }

        if (pg_data)
        {
                snprintf(postopts_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/postmaster.opts",
pg_data);
                snprintf(version_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/PG_VERSION", pg_data);
                snprintf(pid_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/postmaster.pid", pg_data);
                snprintf(backup_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/backup_label", pg_data);
                snprintf(recovery_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/recovery.conf", pg_data);
        }

        switch (ctl_command)
        {
                case INIT_COMMAND: