On 4/6/17 03:50, Craig Ringer wrote:
But otherwise, pending docs changes, I think it's ready for committer.

My opinion is still that this is ultimately the wrong approach.  The
right fix for performance issues in PL/Python is to change PL/Python not
to materialize the list of tuples.  Now with this change we would be
moving from two result materializations to one, but I think we are
keeping the wrong one.

That's an option for future improvement, but I see no way to accomplish that without completely breaking plpy.

I think the best way to handle this would be to allow plpython functions to define their own callback function, which would be handed a python tuple that was translated from the SPI result tuple. How best to do that without breaking plpy will require some thought though.

In the meantime, I don't think a 27% performance gain is anything to sneeze at, and the SPI changes would be directly usable by pl/r and pl/tcl.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net