On 04/07/2017 06:31 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Prakash Itnal <prakash...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

We currently use psotgres 9.3 in our products. Recently we upgraded to
postgres 9.6. But with 9.6 we have seen a drastic reduction in throughput.
After analyzing carefully I found that "planner time" in 9.6 is very high.
Below are the details:

Scenario:
1 Create a table with 100000 rows.
2 Execute simple query: select * from subscriber where s_id = 100;
3 No update/delete/insert; tried vacuum, full vacuum; by default we enable
auto-vacuum

9.3: Avg of "Total runtime" : 0.24ms [actual throughput: 650 TPS]
9.6: Avg of Total time: 0.56ms (Avg of "Planning time" : 0.38ms + Avg of
"Execution time" : 0.18ms) [actual throughput: 80 TPS]

I think your math is off.  Looking at your attachments, planning time
is 0.056ms, not 0.56ms.  This is in no way relevant to performance on
the order of your measured TPS.   How are you measuring TPS?

Not sure where did you get the 0.056ms? What I see is this in the 9.3 explains:

 Total runtime: 0.246 ms

and this in those from 9.6:

 Planning time: 0.396 ms

 Execution time: 0.181 ms

That is roughly 0.25ms vs. 0.6ms (0.4+0.2), as reported by Prakash.

Obviously, this "just" 2x slowdown, so it does not match the drop from 650 to 80 tps. Also, 0.25ms would be ~4000 tps, so I guess this was just an example of a query that slowed down.

Prakash, are you using packages (which ones?), or have you compiled from sources? Can you provide pg_config output from both versions, and also 'select * from pg_settings' (the full config)?

It might also be useful to collect profiles, i.e. (1) install debug symbols (2) run the query in a loop and (3) collect profiles from that one backend using 'perf'.

I assume you're using the same hardware / machine for the tests?

regards