On 13 April 2017 at 14:59, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> 2. Make transaction_read_only GUC_REPORT
> This is to avoid the added round-trip by SHOW command.  It also benefits
> client apps that want to know when the server gets promoted?  And this may
> simplify the libpq code.
> I don't understand yet why we need to provide this feature for older servers
> by using SHOW.  Those who are already using <= 9.6 in production completed
> the system or application, and their business is running.  Why would they
> want to just replace libpq and use this feature?

I think "transaction_read_only" is a bit confusing for something we're
expecting to change under us.

To me, a "read only" xact is one created with

BEGIN READ ONLY TRANSACTION;

.... which I would not expect to become read/write under me, since I
explicitly asked for read-only.

It's more like "session read only" that we're interested in IMO.