On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.ta...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> What do you think of the following cases?  Don't you want to connect to other
> servers?
>
> * The DBA shuts down the database.  The server takes a long time to do
> checkpointing.  During the shutdown checkpoint, libpq tries to connect to the
> server and receive an error "the database system is shutting down."
>
> * The former primary failed and now is trying to start as a standby, catching
> up by applying WAL.  During the recovery, libpq tries to connect to the
> server and receive an error "the database system is performing recovery."
>
> * The database server crashed due to a bug.  Unfortunately, the server takes
> unexpectedly long time to shut down because it takes many seconds to write
> the stats file (as you remember, Tom-san experienced 57 seconds to write the
> stats file during regression tests.)  During the stats file write, libpq
> tries to connect to the server and receive an error "the database system is
> shutting down."
>
> These are equivalent to server failure.  I believe we should prioritize
> rescuing errors during operation over detecting configuration errors.

Yeah, you have a point.  I'm willing to admit that we may have defined
the behavior of the feature incorrectly, provided that you're willing
to admit that you're proposing a definition change, not just a bug
fix.

Anybody else want to weigh in with an opinion here?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company