On 05/20/2017 01:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Attached is a proposed patch.  I'm vacillating on whether to
back-patch this --- it will fix a reported bug, but it seems
at least somewhat conceivable that it will also break cases
that were working acceptably before.  Thoughts?

+1 for back-patching. If I understand correctly, it would change the behavior when you pass a string with non-ASCII leading or trailing whitespace characters to those functions. I suppose that can happen, but it's only pure luck if the current code happens to work in that case. And even if so, it's IMO still quite reasonable to change the behavior, on the grounds that the new behavior is what the core SQL lexer would do.

- Heikki