On 29/05/17 21:28, Andres Freund wrote:

> On May 29, 2017 12:25:35 PM PDT, Petr Jelinek <petr.jeli...@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at the code more, the xid is only used as parameter for
>> SnapBuildBuildSnapshot() which never does anything with that parameter,
>> I wonder if it's really needed then.
>
> Not at a computer, but by memory that'll trigger the snapshot export routine
> to include it.  Import in turn requires the xid to check if the source is
> still alive.  But there's better ways, e.g. using the virtual xactid.

It does, and while that's unfortunate the logical replication does not
actually export the snapshots. It uses the USE_SNAPSHOT option where the
snapshot is just installed into current transaction but not exported. So
not calling the GetTopTransactionId() would solve it at least for that
in-core use-case. I don't see any bad side effects from doing so yet, so
it might be good enough solution for PG10.