Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Yes, we already have guards for those cases, but they return fairly opaque
> > error messages to the tune of "set-valued function called in context that
> > cannot accept a set", because the executor hasn't enough context to do
> > better.  I'd like the messages to be more specific, like "set-valued
> > function cannot appear within CASE" and so on.
>
> Here's an expanded version of the "bottom up" patch that adjusts some
> parser APIs to allow these additional messages to be thrown.  This changes
> all occurrences of "set-valued function called in context that cannot
> accept a set" in the core regression tests into something more specific.
> There are probably some remaining cases that this doesn't cover, but the
> existing execution-time checks will still catch those.

Interesting stuff.  Here's a small recommendation for a couple of those
new messages.

*** a/src/backend/parser/parse_expr.c
--- b/src/backend/parser/parse_expr.c
***************
*** 1068,1074 **** transformAExprNullIf(ParseState *pstate, A_Expr *a)
        if (result->opretset)
                ereport(ERROR,
                                (errcode(ERRCODE_DATATYPE_MISMATCH),
!                                errmsg("NULLIF operator must not return a
set"),
                                 parser_errposition(pstate, a->location)));

        /*
--- 1068,1075 ----
        if (result->opretset)
                ereport(ERROR,
                                (errcode(ERRCODE_DATATYPE_MISMATCH),
!               /* translator: %s is name of a SQL construct, eg NULLIF */
!                                errmsg("%s operator must not return a set",
"NULLIF"),
                                 parser_errposition(pstate, a->location)));

        /*
***************
*** 3041,3047 **** make_distinct_op(ParseState *pstate, List *opname, Node
*ltree, Node *rtree,
        if (((OpExpr *) result)->opretset)
                ereport(ERROR,
                                (errcode(ERRCODE_DATATYPE_MISMATCH),
!                                errmsg("IS DISTINCT FROM operator must not
return a set"),
                                 parser_errposition(pstate, location)));

        /*
--- 3042,3050 ----
        if (((OpExpr *) result)->opretset)
                ereport(ERROR,
                                (errcode(ERRCODE_DATATYPE_MISMATCH),
!               /* translator: %s is name of a SQL construct, eg NULLIF */
!                                errmsg("%s operator must not return a set",
!                                               "IS DISTINCT FROM"),