On Thursday, June 15, 2017, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> (2) My inclination would be not to back-patch.  This change could break
> >> configurations that worked before, and the lack of prior complaints
> >> says that not many people are having a problem with it.
>
> > That's fourteen years without complains, still I cannot imagine any
> > cases where it would be a problem as people who would have faced this
> > problem but not reported it have likely just enforced the FS to handle
> > case-insensitivity for paths.
>
> Well, it's not just about case sensitivity.  The comment for
> SplitDirectoriesString points out that it deals with embedded spaces
> differently, and it also applies canonicalize_path().  I'm too tired
> to think hard about what that part might mean for compatibility, but
> it probably isn't nothing.
>
> Anyway, I agree that this is an appropriate change for HEAD.  Just
> not convinced that we should shove it into minor releases.

If it's downcasing then careless use of mixed case when the true path on a
case sensitive filesystem is all lower case (not unlikely at all given
default packaging for deb and rpm packages, iirc) would indeed be a
problem.  Those paths are accidentally working right now.  I vote for no
back-patch.

David J.