To utilize openssl FIPS, you have to explicitly enable it, per the FIPS
user guide: https://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-2.0.pdf

So, my target would be redhat/centos where openssl FIPS is
certified/available, and then add a configuration parameter to enable it
(much like Apache HTTPD's SSLFIPS directive:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslfips).