Hi all,

While looking at a user problem, I got surprised that pg_dumpall does
not have a -E switch. This has been discussed a bit in the past like
here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/75e4c42d37e6a74e9fb57c2e9f1300d601070...@tiger.nexperience.com

Now it is possible to enforce the encoding used by using
PGCLIENTENCODING but I think that a switch would be useful as well,
particularly for Windows where "set" needs to be used. Are there any
objections to a patch adding support for that? Such a patch should do:
- Call PQsetClientEncoding if an encoding is defined after getting a connection.
- Pass down -E to pg_dump calls if something is set.

Thoughts?
--
Michael