On 2017/07/19 23:36, Tom Lane wrote:
Etsuro Fujita <fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:
* Modified rewrite_targetlist(), which is a new function added to
preptlist.c, so that we do const-simplification to junk TLEs that
AddForeignUpdateTargets() added, as that API allows the FDW to add junk
TLEs containing non-Var expressions to the query's targetlist.

This does not seem like a good idea to me.  eval_const_expressions is not
a cheap thing, and for most use-cases those cycles will be wasted, and it
has never been the responsibility of preprocess_targetlist to do this sort
of thing.

Hm, I added that const-simplification to that function so that the existing FDWs that append junk TLEs that need const-simplification, which I don't know really exist, would work well for this fix, without any changes, but I agree on that point.

Please put the responsibility of doing const-expression simplification
in these cases somewhere closer to where the problem is being created.

It would be reasonable that it's the FDW's responsibility to do that const-simplification if necessary?

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita